Admissions Application Instructions
Program: Professional & Continuing Studies – Professional & Continuing Studies/Jeff-at-Night
Welcome to the Jefferson Schools Web Application
We are happy that you have decided to apply to Jefferson. Applying online is fast and convenient. (In order to apply online, you must have a valid credit card.) Just follow the instructions below and, if you have any questions, contact us at (215) 503-8890 or 877-JEFF-247.
There are two steps to the application.
- First, complete the online application. Print and read the directions.
- Then, complete your self-managed application. Print and read the directions.
Online Application Directions
Note: If you receive an error message or have problems when you try to submit your application, send an email message to our help desk at email@example.com. Include your name, a phone number and time when you can be reached, and a complete description of the problem you are experiencing. A technical representative will contact you within 24 hours.
Please print this page and keep it with you as you complete your application.
- If this is your first Jefferson online application, choose the “first time user account creation” option on the opening page of the application. Otherwise, enter your previously created Login ID and PIN. Create a Login ID or have the computer generate one for you. You may choose any six-digit number for your PIN but please be sure to write it down. TJU will not be able to access your PIN number if you forget it. Login ID:_______________ PIN#:________________
- Once you begin the application, there is a 5-minute inactivity timeout. This means that if you do not use the system for 5 minutes, you will be prompted to re-enter your Login ID and PIN to continue with the application.
- You will be asked to choose an "Application Type." For Professional & Continuing Studies/Jeff-at-Night program applicants, that is "Professional & Continuing Studies - All programs." (If you are applying to another program, please go back. If you are uncertain as to which major is best for you, please visit our website at http://www.jefferson.edu/health_professions/ and click on the appropriate department to get additional information.)
- After you enter the type of student you will be and the start term, all the sections of the application that apply to you will be listed with either a red or blue icon. All of the red icons MUST be completed before your application can be submitted. The blue icons are sections that we prefer that you complete so we can better serve you in the application process.
- Instructions at the top of each screen help you to complete that screen properly. Please read all instructions before starting that section.
- When entering information, do not use all capital or lower case letters.
- When you enter a date in any section of the application please be sure to use this format MM/DD/YYYY, including the backslashes (/).
- When you are finished with all of the sections you must check the “Application Complete” box before you click “Submit Application.” If you do not check the box, TJU will not be able to download your application.
- After the application is completed you will be asked to provide your credit card number and expiration date to pay the application fee. If you do not have a valid credit card, TJU will not be able to download your application.
- Jefferson communicates with applicants via email, so please provide a valid email address and adjust your email settings to allow mail from Jefferson.edu.
Self-managed Application Directions
Jefferson Schools use the self-managed application process. After completing the online application, please send your transcripts, recommendation letters and essay to the Office of Admission in a single envelope and at the same time. Send all credentials in one large envelope to:
Office of Admissions & Enrollment Management
130 S. Ninth Street, Suite 100
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Here are more details about what you must send in the envelope.
Application and Fee
Read these instructions to know what the application requirements are for the program you are applying to. At the end of the instructions there will be a link to the online application. For online applications, the application fee will be paid online using a credit card.
There is a $25 application fee to be paid online using a credit card.
Submit an official transcript for each undergraduate and graduate institution you have attended
- Ask the registrar at your college(s) to send the transcript, in a signed and sealed envelope, directly to you.
- DO NOT open the transcript.
- Transcripts received with broken seals will be returned to the applicant.
- Enclose all transcripts in the self managed application envelope.
Transcripts originating from academic institutions outside of the U.S. must be translated and a course-by-course evaluation performed by the World Education Services (WES) or comparable credential evaluation service. WES will transmit the results electronically to Jefferson. You do not need to include them in the envelope.
|Please contact WES at:|
|World Education Services
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
|Courier Address *
64 Beaver Street, #146
New York, NY 10004
Two Letters of Recommendation
You must submit two letters of recommendation. Letters can be written by any one of the following individuals: professor, academic administrator, professional or volunteer supervisor or manager. Please note that following will not be accepted as recommendations: family, friends or co-workers.
- You can download a recommendation form here or your recommenders can submit a reference on letterhead.
- The letter must include your name, address, and email address. Fill out the information required at the top of the downloaded recommendation form or be sure your recommender includes it if he or she submits a reference on letterhead.
- Prepare a self addressed stamped envelope for your recommender to return the letter to you.
- After completing the letter, your recommender must seal the envelope you provided, sign the back, and send it back to you.
- When you receive the letter, DO NOT open it. Include the signed and sealed letter(s) in the large self-managed application envelope provided with your application packet along with your application, fee and other credentials.
- Recommendation letters received with broken seals will be returned to the applicant.
In the healthcare professions, the ability to negotiate moral and ethical issues is a crucial component to successfully meeting the healthcare needs of society. In addition, critical thinking and problem solving are essential skills required of all healthcare practitioners. Please submit an essay, either via the online application or with the self-managed application. Essays should be between 400-600 words.
Choose one of the following:
- Describe a current ethical or moral healthcare issue and explain how it may change or affect the role of healthcare practitioners in your desired profession.
- Describe a situation you have encountered in the past that required you to use critical thinking and problem solving skills. Based on that experience, explain how you might resolve a similar issue in your desired healthcare profession.
Demonstration of English Language Proficiency
All international students and U.S. permanent residents must demonstrate English language proficiency as one of the conditions for admission to Jefferson. Jefferson Schools will accept any one of the following items to satisfy the proficiency requirement:
- Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with an overall score of at least 87 and individual section scores as follows: Writing -21, Speaking -23, Reading -21 and Listening -22. Do not include the scores in the self-managed application envelope. Request official scores to be sent to Jefferson. TOEFL code = 2903
- Associate degree or higher from an accredited U.S. college or university.
- At least 60 college credits earned from no more than three (3) U.S. colleges or universities
- U.S. national or state licensure or certification in a nursing or allied health field.*
- Score of 508 or higher on the Critical Reading (formerly Verbal) section for the SAT for applicants entering Jefferson directly from high school.
- Citizenship from a country where English is an official language: Follow this link for the country list.
*Certain certification may not be sufficient to demonstrate proficiency.
Criminal Background Check/Child Abuse Clearance
(for Emergency Medical Services EMS students ONLY)
All students who are offered admission to Jefferson are required to have a criminal background check and child abuse clearance. The Office of Admissions will provide you with the appropriate information to complete these requirements, as needed.
Clinical rotation and fieldwork sites that require a criminal background check and/or child abuse clearance may deny a student's participation in the clinical experience, rotation or fieldwork because of a felony or misdemeanor conviction or a record of child abuse. Clinical sites may also deny participation in clinical experience for other reasons, such as failure of a required drug test, or inability to produce an appropriate health clearance. As participation in clinical experiences, rotations or fieldwork is a required part of the curriculum and a requirement for graduation, denial of participation by a clinical site may result in delay of graduation or the inability to graduate from the program.
Regardless of whether or not a student graduates from Jefferson, individuals who have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor may be denied certification or licensure as a health professional. Information regarding individual eligibility may be obtained from the appropriate credentialing bodies.
Fingerprinting and Drug Testing
Some clinical sites may require students to be fingerprinted and/or undergo a drug test. The Office of Admissions will provide you with the appropriate information to complete this requirement, as needed.