Jefferson Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (JGSBS) uses an online application which allows applicants to submit their application fee, personal statement and resume/CV.
Applying to the Graduate Certificate Programs
Applications are considered on a rolling-admissions basis throughout the year and newly matriculated students may begin coursework in any academic term. (Fall, Spring1, Spring2, and Summer).
Once an application is complete and submitted for review a decision is often reached in one to two weeks.
A complete application consists of:
- A complete online application submitted with non-refundable, $40.00 application fee
- Personal statement
- 1 Letters of recommendation
- Official Transcripts from all institutions attended
- If your undergraduate credentials are from an institution outside of the United States or Canada, the Office of Admission requires a course-by-course evaluation of all post-secondary credentials (undergraduate and graduate, if applicable). We accept these evaluations from services like World Education Services, Inc. (WES) or Education Credential Evaluators (ECE). It is your responsibility to provide the necessary paperwork and payment to WES or ECE and to request that a copy of the report be sent to the Office of Admission.
- If your native language is not English, or you received your baccalaureate degree from an institution where English is not the official language of instruction, you must submit official scores from an accepted English proficiency exam such as TOEFL or IELTS or demonstrate a high level of English proficiency.
For other information (Student VISA, etc) please visit our Office of International Affairs.
All application materials should be sent to the JGSBS Office of Admission at the following address:
Jefferson Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
Office of Admissions
1020 Locust Street
Jefferson Alumni Hall, Rm M60
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Application materials may arrive separately both before and after your application is submitted, but please be sure your full name is on each document.
The application fee is $40.00 and needs to be submitted by credit card (Visa or Mastercard only) upon submission of the application. The fee is non-refundable.
We regret that we do not waive the application fee for the certificate programs.
- Scholarships and assistantships are not available for students in our Graduate Certificate programs. Our students fund their education through a variety of means. Information on applying for financial assistance can be found through our Office of Financial Aid.
- Many students will fund their education with tuition benefits through their employer. We suggest applicants inquire about their employer’s tuition policy and contact the Office of Admission for more information.
The Graduate Certificate programs are 15-16 credits and can typically be completed in one year.
JGSBS does not require standardized tests for the Graduate Certificate programs.
JGSBS uses an online recommendation process. To submit a recommendation, proceed to the online system.
While we prefer to receive the recommendations through our online system, applicants can download our recommendation form which their recommender fills out, attaches the letter of recommendation, and mails directly to the JGSBS Office of Admissions.
The personal statement should be approximately 500-750 words and explains the reasons for applying to JGSBS as well as research interests/experiences.
The Admissions Office holds several Master of Science/Graduate Certificate Information Sessions throughout the year. A Program Director leads a presentation and answers questions from prospective students while an admissions representative discusses the application process. Visit JGSBS Upcoming Events page for upcoming dates . Attendees are waived from the application fee.
Courses taken in the Graduate Certificate programs are the same courses we offer to our MS students. Completed Graduate Certificate courses may later be applied toward a graduate degree program.
Questions regarding the application process can be directed to the Admissions Office at (215) 503-4400 while specific questions about the programs can be directed to Eleanor Gorman, Assistant Coordinator for MS Programs in the Basic Sciences, at (215) 503-5799.
– Application &
– Application Fee
– Three Letters of
– Official Academic
Transcripts in sealed
– Standardized Tests
-- Academic Transcript
Your Application Packet...
All application materials should be sent directly to the Director of Admissions of the Graduate College; they should not be sent to the program to which you are applying.
Office of Admissions
Jefferson Alumni Hall
1020 Locust Street