TN Visa Status
Canadian TN Application Checklist
Documentation needed to request admission of a Canadian citizen into the U.S. in TN status
- Canadian passport
- $50 fee
- Original documentation of a university degree and employment records which support your qualifications for the job (e.g. licensure, visa screen, etc.).
- Detailed letter from the employer (from Jefferson) which includes the following information:
- Affirmation of profession according to Appendix 1603.D.1
- Description of the duties the applicant will perform in the U.S.
- References of the anticipated length of stay (no more than three years)
- Reviw of the applicant’s educational qualifications or credentials
- Demonstration that the applicant has professional level status
- Description of the arrangements for payment for the services to be rendered
- Confirmation that the applicant meets all license requirements, if applicable
- For employees of Canadian entities entering the U.S. as part of contracts with U.S. employers, a copy of the contract also should be provided in addition to a letter from the U.S. client describing the nature of the work
- Evidence that the employment is in one of the occupations listed in Appendix 1603.D.1
- Evidence that the individual has the required credentials for this profession (diploma, license, etc.).
When applying for TN status at port of entry, be prepared to state that the purpose of entry into the U.S. is temporary in nature. Also, be prepared to pay any fees for any dependents who will accompany you.
For more information, please go to the TN visa section on the website of the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa