Jefferson Information Technologies
About New Web Development | About Web Updates
New TJU Web Sites
Check out the newly branded TJU sites. This page is updated as new sites come online.
Contact KT Ferrera for new web development.
Under Jeff IT's Enterprise Systems, the Web Applications & Services business unit serves as a TJU client resource within Jeff IT structure whose primary function is to meet – and exceed – the client’s expectations per the ever-evolving internet/intranet as an effective communications tool. Our focus is customer service in terms of delivering high-quality, high-impact websites by identifying effective solutions based on available and forthcoming web technologies in line with carving TJU’s niche as a innovative medical education leader. The following lists the services offered to the Jefferson Community:
Having a high-quality web presence is a Jefferson mandate. One of he University's long-term business objective is to have an informative and fully searchable web presence, designed not only to compete, but to exceed our various visitors' needs. It's imperative to accurately communicate what TJU offers potential students, faculty members, researchers and employees via having rich content with updated information about our educational programs and research.
To meet this objective, our charge is to guide our clients in designing their sites per the following considerations.
- Content oganization | is the content organized in logical generic constructs?
- Usability | can your target audience find information in a clear and concise manner?
- Navigation to support the 3-click guideline | can the user answer key questions within three clicks?
- Site optimization for faster load times | is the site clear and free of visual and/or distractive clutter?
- Search-engine optimization | the content should be written using vital topic-specific language, and ordered with the most relevant page information at the top of the page.
Our expertise lies in implementing best practices in delivering your ideas – developing navigation, mini-applications, look/feel regarding how to best organize and present content as online communication tool.
The Web Applications & Services group also innovative web applications that employ the latest technology to facilitate the user experience, insuring that business objectives are satisified.
Contribute is an Adobe product allows non-HTML web professionals to manage their content on their TJU websites. You can edit copy, add pictures, create links, new pages. Jeff IT will train you on how how to get the most out of using Contribute to maintain your website. Jeff IT is available to assist you in requests that may requrie more than a typical Contribute layout.
Getting Started with Contribute at Jefferson:
- Current Site in the former branding: Jeff IT's Web Servcies can create new site templates;
- New Jefferson Branding initative: All sites located on Jefferson.edu are Contribute-based and ready for client management -- though the maintanance of the site is per the clients direction.
- Contribute support - available ad hoc, please email Brian Borowski for assistance.
Web Application Development
Develop applications to automate recurring requests i.e. order forms, online registration, postings, news, mailing lists, etc.
Database driven content (Changing Information, News)
Increase usability per the build/process-driven discovery – continually honing in on objective.
Collaboration based on client’s varying needs and level of desired interaction, to this end Web .
Applications and Services offer four levels of service:
- full service - strictly a client/agency basis
- limited service - provide the tools and guidance to help clients develop and administrate their site
- support service - address the server and/or ‘back-end’ requirements to enable the client to create their own web site per the web standards
- training – on current technology offered or custom applications built-to-suit
Technologies/Applications employed includes, but not limited to:
- Cold Fusion – dynamic web pages
- Flash – vector based animation
- Spry – dynamic mini-applications to enhance usability
- MS Access, MS SQL, Oracle Push/Dynamic technologies
- Portable Document Format (PDF)
- Satellite Forms
- New technologies as available which further maximizes the effectiveness of the internet as a means of communication.
Items to consider as you prepare your content:
Key Messages: what is the first and second concept/idea that you want your visitors to capture without ‘studying’ the page
Identify target audience: who are they and how are they reached, what motivates them?
Outline: Organize content from overview to detailed information in delivering your message -- note this will drive the subnavigation of your site.
3-click guideline: Web principle that suggests that a user should be able to find intended or sought out information within 3 clicks.
Concepts/Images: what is the nature of your discipline
Copy/Editorial: who will be the point person in delivering and then approving the content
Less is more theory: you do not want to overwhelm users with too much information, graphics or accessory applications. Particularly at initial landing pages.
date revised 03/19/10
Policies & Disclaimers
Campus Key Help
— Wireless Coverage Map
— Intel Proset PDF
— Vista/Win 7
— Mac Tiger
— Mac Leopard
— Mac Snow Leopard
— Mac Lion
— Configuration Settings
JeffShare: Network Storage
— Avira Anti-vir
— Trend Micro Scan
— ClamXAV for Mac
— Spyware Terminator
TJU Dell Premier Page
Policies & Disclaimers