Great Minds Gather to Fete One of Their Own
Jefferson's Kimmel Cancer Center Honors Hilary Koprowski, MD
Some of the world's preeminent scientists will participate in
a symposium honoring Hilary Koprowski, MD, on the occasion of his birthday.
The symposium will take place on Thursday, December 5, from 9 a.m. to 5
p.m., in the Connelly Conference Hall, Bluemle Building. Dr. Koprowski
is Professor of Microbiology and Immunology at Jefferson Medical College
and an internationally renowned virologist who developed vaccines for polio
Symposium presenters include:
All members of the Jefferson community are invited to honor Dr. Koprowski
by attending the symposium, organized by Carlo M. Croce, MD, Professor and
Chairman of the Department Microbiology and Immunology, Director of the
Kimmel Cancer Institute.
- Dr. Martin Kaplan, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, who
will present "Moral Choices in Science and Technology"
- Dr. Donald Gilden, University of Colorado, Denver, who will present
"New Strategies to Identify an Antigen and Sequences Unique to Multiple
- Dr. Erling Norrby, Karolinski Institute, Stockholm, Sweden, who will
present "Fin de Siecle Biomedical Research and the Advance into the
- Dr. Stanley Prusiner, University of California, San Francisco, who will
present "Prions, Prions, Prions"
- Dr. Robert Gallo, University of Maryland, Baltimore, who will present
"Recent Discoveries on New Biological Approaches to the Control of
- Dr. Peter Vogt, Scripps Research Institute, LaJolla, California, will
present "Explaining Phenotypes: The Challenge of the Downstream"
- Dr. Carlo Croce, Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University,
who will present "Genetics of Human Cancer"
- Dr. Fritz Melchers, Basel Institute for Immunology, Basel, Switzerland,
who will present "The Seven Tests of a Lymphocyte"
- Dr. Abner Notkins, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland,
who will present "IA-2 and IA-2B, Members of the Protein Tyrosine Phosphatase
Family, Are Major Autoantigens in Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Millitus: Predicting
For additional information, please call Suzanne Jones or Andrea Goodstein-Curtis