Jeffersonians in the News
Recent Print Coverage
Recent Television and Radio Coverage
- Efforts by Eric Kmiec, PhD, Associate Professor of Pharmacology,
to find a synthetic molecule to correct the gene mutation that causes sickle
cell anemia appeared in various local and national newspapers including
the Philadelphia Inquirer (circulation 997,587), the Star Ledger (circulation
481,027), the Philadelphia Daily News (circulation 205,000), the Philadelphia
Tribune (circulation 116,000), the New York Times (circulation 1,170,869),
the Wall Street Journal (circulation 749,547) and the Orlando Sentinel (circulation
- John McShane, MD, Director of Primary Care Sports Medicine, explained
the seriousness of concussions in the Washington Post (circulation 837,041)
on September 3 and the Philadelphia Inquirer (circulation 504,903) on September
- Stroke Unit Director Rodney Bell, MD, discussed how advances
in brain imaging and drugs are leading to the conclusion that stroke is
treatable as an emergency "brain attack" in the Sun (circulation
343,844) on August 27.
- Urologist Michael Chancellor, MD, discussed how a new surgical
procedure which uses a leg muscle and an electric stimulator to replace
a non-functioning sphincter allows patients with spinal cord injuries to
live without catheters on WWBT-TV (NBC in Richmond), WPEC-TV (CBS in West
Palm Beach), WDAF-TV (FOX in Kansas City), WGAL-TV (NBC in Harrisburg),
KGET-TV (NBC in Bakersfield) and WJAR-TV (NBC in Providence).
- Jouni Uitto, MD, PhD, Chairman of the Department of Dermatology,
explained how a newly discovered gene may be a link between the skin-blistering
disease epidermolysis bullosa (EB) and muscular dystrophy on WPVI-TV (Ch.
6), WFTV-TV (ABC in Orlando) and WGAL-TV (NBC in Harrisburg).
- Jay Greenspan, MD, Director of Neonatology, explained how liquid
ventilation is being used to help premature infants breathe on WTXF-TV (Ch.
29) on September 11 and on the National Public Radio (NPR) Network (91 FM)
on September 12.
- Gregory Fossum, MD, Director of the In-vitro Fertilization Program,
commented on the fertility drugs and procedures currently available for
couples with fertility problems on Good Day Philadelphia a morning news
program appearing on WTXF-TV (Ch. 29) on September 3.