Recent Print Coverage
* Registered Dietitian Barbara Whedon, RD, commented on the nutritional value of fast food at Pizza Hut in the May issue of Men's Health Magazine (circulation 1,200,000).
* Eric Gibson, MD, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, recommended babies be put to sleep on their backs as an excellent precaution against Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) in The Associated Press on May 6, and The St. Louis Post - Dispatch (circulation 97,000) on May 7.
* Edward A. Emmett, MD, Director of the Center for Occupational and Environmental Health Policy, has been named to conduct a study on the health and environmental issues of a proposed low-level radioactive waste storage facility for Molycorp Inc. in Washington County, Pa., as mentioned in the Observer-Reporter (circulation 39,500) on March 26.
* Pediatric Endocrinologist Judith Ross, MD, discussed that extended studies are needed to confirm that a newly found mutated gene called SHOX, is the cause for stunted growth in humans in The Mercury (circulation 33,000) on April 29.
Recent Television/Radio Coverage
* Study results presented by Eric Gibson, MD, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, showing that the percentage of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) deaths can be reduced if mothers position their babies to sleep on their backs were reported locally and nationally on KYW 1060 AM, WTXF-TV (Ch. 29), CNN, KTLA-TV (WB in Los Angeles), KFWB-AM (IND in Los Angeles), WBZ-AM (ABC in Boston), KHOV-TV (CBS in Houston) on May 6.
* Urologist Frank D'Elia, MD, discussed the advantages of a new device called the Prostatron, an instrument used to nonsurgically shrink/remove enlarged prostate tissue, locally and nationally on WTXF-TV (Ch. 29) on April 25, and Fox News Channel Cable Programming, WNYW-TV (Fox in New York), WHDH-TV (NBC in Boston) and WTVT-TV (Fox in Tampa/St. Petersburg) on April 28.
* Barbara Turner, MD, Professor of Medicine, explained that HIV-positive women who smoke during pregnancy are more likely than non-smokers to transmit the virus to their child locally and nationally on WPVI-TV (Ch. 6), KYW-TV (Ch. 3) and KNX 1070 AM (CBS in Los Angeles) on April 1, and KNBC-TV (NBC in Los Angeles) on April 2.
* Director of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine Mitchell Cohen, MD, discussed the use of morphine for chronic pain reduction on the ABC News Program 20/20 on April 4.