|Weather Emergencies: Know Your
Status, Call 1-800-858-8806
Whether its El Nino or La Nina, the
advent of winter, with ice, snow and frigid temperatures, can present significant
challenges for the Jefferson community.
Jefferson must be prepared for whatever may develop, said John P. Sullivan,
Vice President for Administration.
Here are some important points from Jeffersons weather emergency policy to keep
- Department heads will advise all faculty and employees of their status as either
designated or nondesignated personnel. This distinction applies to
the University, TJUH and the Jefferson Faculty Foundation.
- Designated personnel are required to report in the event of a declared weather
emergency. Absences of designated personnel during a weather emergency are without pay,
but are not charged to an employees lost-time rate under the attendance policy.
- Nondesignated personnel, while expected to make every effort to report as scheduled, may
use a vacation or personal day if transportation or other weather-related problems result
in lost time during a weather emergency.
- A toll-free Jefferson hotline, 1-800-858-8806, will provide complete weather-emergency
- Students can also obtain weather-emergency information from the hotline. The dean of
each academic division will decide about class cancellation. Scheduled classes for MD and
PhD students will take place regardless of weather conditions. All third- and fourth-year
medical students are expected to report for their scheduled clinical assignments.
Anyone with questions about the policy may contact the office of employee relations at