Visit the Eakins Gallery in Jefferson Alumni Hall to treat yourself to a rare and
remarkable visual tour of how the Jefferson campus grew during its first
century, from 1824 to 1931.
Called Architecture at Jefferson Medical College: The First Century, the
exhibit was mounted by Julie S. Berkowitz, University Art Historian, who selected images
from the Archives and arranged for the photographic enlargement and framing of all 12.
The earliest building shown, from 1824, is the first home of Jefferson Medical College (JMC), the Tivoli Theater at 518-520 Prune St. (now marked by a plaque at Locust Walk). The most recent is the Curtis Clinic Building, opened in 1931 and named for its benefactor Cyrus H. K. Curtis, the publishing magnate. It is one of four buildings in the exhibit still in very active use today, the others being the Main Building, Thompson Building, and the College Building.
After the Eakins Gallery reopens in late July, Jeffersonians may view the special exhibit Mondays through Saturdays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. or Sundays 12 noon to 4 p.m. See the officer at the Security Desk in the lobby of Jefferson Alumni Hall to gain admission to the gallery. Group tours are available by calling Ms. Berkowitz at 215-503-5368.