Renato L. Baserga, MD
233 S. Tenth Street, Suite 624 A
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 923-0249 fax
Most Recent Peer-reviewed Publications
- The decline and fall of the IGF-I receptor
- Nutrient restriction and radiation therapy for cancer treatment: When less is more
- The type 1 insulin-like growth factor receptor and resistance to DACH1
- Expression of Micro-RNA-145 is regulated by a highly conserved genomic sequence 3' to the pre-miR
- Regulation of microRNA-145 by growth arrest and differentiation
MD, Faculty of Medicine, University of Milan, Italy
Institute of Pathologic Anatomy, University of Milan, Italy
St. Luke's Hospital, Department of Pathology, Chicago, Illinois
Expertise and Research Interests
My research has been focusing for the past 20 years on the type 1 insulin-like growth factor receptor (IGF-IR), a growth factor receptor that plays a major role in growth, differentiation and transformation. Antibodies to the IGF-IR are presently in clinical trials. Many pharma companies and biotechs use reagents (plasmids and cell lines) developed in my laboratory, which are a steady source of income for our OTT.
Current Research Projects
- The role of micro RNA 145 in down-regulating the IGF-IR signaling pathway. miR145 targets and down-regulates the IGF-IR and its docking protein, the insulin receptor substrate-1 (IRS-1) and causes a dramatic inhibition of cancer cell growth. The work on miR145 has been done with the collaboration and support of Merck Company.
- The mechanism of v-src transformation, which requires the collaboration of the IGF-IR and IRS-1.
Aging; Biochemistry; Biological Signal Transduction; Biomedical Facility; Biophysics; Cell Biology; Cell Cycle Protein; Cell Differentiation; Cell Growth Regulation; Cell Senescence; Complementary Dna; Developmental Biology; Developmental Neurobiology; Diploidy; Dna Binding Protein; Dna Replication; Epidermal Growth Factor; Ethanol; Fibroblast; Gel Electrophoresis; Gene Expression; Genetic Mapping; Genetic Promoter Element; Genetic Regulation; Genetic Regulatory Element; Genetic Transcription; Genetics; Growth Factor Receptor; Growth Inhibitor; Human Physiology; Immortalized Cell; Insulinlike Growth Factor; Messenger Rna; Microinjection; Mitogen; Molecular Biology; Molecular Cloning; Molecular Genetics; Molecular Site; Northern Blotting; Nuclear Runoff Assay; Nucleic Acid Sequence; Oncogene; Pharmacology; Platelet Derived Growth Factor; Polymerase Chain Reaction; Proliferating Cell Nuclear Antigen; Protein Biosynthesis; Protein Purification; Protein Sequence; Protooncogene; Receptor Binding; Receptor Expression; Simian Virus; Structural Gene; Temperature Sensitive Mutant; Tissue Cell Culture; Transcription Factor; Transfection; Virus Antigen; Wi