Mark Hurwitz, MD
Bodine Cancer Center,
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 955-0412 fax
Most Recent Peer-reviewed Publications
- High dose rate brachytherapy boost for prostate cancer: A systematic review
- A paradigm shift from anatomic to functional and molecular imaging in the detection of recurrent prostate cancer
- Components of a hyperthermia clinic: Recommendations for staffing, equipment, and treatment monitoring
- Do theoretical potential and advanced technology justify the use of high-dose rate brachytherapy as monotherapy for prostate cancer?
- Combining theoretical potential and advanced technology in high-dose rate brachytherapy boost therapy for prostate cancer
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania
Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland
American Board of Radiology, Radiation Oncology 1998, Recertification 2008
Research & Clinical Interest
Genitourinary Oncology, Gastrointestinal Oncology, Thermal Medicine
Mark Hurwitz, MD, has been appointed Vice Chair for Quality, Safety,and Performance Excellence and Director of Thermal Oncology of the Departmentof Radiation Oncology at Thomas Jefferson University and Hospital.
Dr. Hurwitz is a widely recognized leader in the fields of thermal medicine and genitourinary oncology, and previously served as Director of Regional Program Development for the Department of Radiation Oncology at the Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’sCancer Center. Dr. Hurwitz is the first to hold these newly-established positions, as part of Jefferson’s goal to continue its strong focus on quality assurance and patient safety in radiation oncology and other disciplines and to expand upon promising treatment techniques.“I’m delighted to be joining an institutionthat already has a very prominent profile in quality assurance, excellence and innovation,” said Dr. Hurwitz. “I’m stepping into this new position to assist the Department of Radiation Oncology at Jefferson in reaching the next level in terms of developing a formalized, comprehensive quality assurance program that encompasses all aspects of quality, including research, education, patient care and safety."