Thomas Jefferson University
Department of Radiology
The Department of Radiology at Thomas Jefferson University has a history that dates back to 1896, the year after Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen discovered x-rays. Originally located in the department of Pathology, many of the early Jefferson faculty were leaders in the development of Radiology as a separate medical specialty. A distinguished succession of radiologists has served as chair of the department beginning with Willis F. Manges, M.D. who was appointed in 1904.
Over the years many members and graduates of the department have held prominent positions in radiology societies, and have made important scientific contributions to the field of medical imaging. Today the Jefferson Department of Radiology is recognized as one of the premier departments in the country based on academic productivity, clinical expertise and excellence in educational programs.
In the News
Oksana Baltarowich, M.D. has been inducted into the AOA as an honorary member voted in by AOA members of the 2012 graduating class. Dr. Baltarowich serves as the Director of Medical Student Education and teaches the bulk of the RAD 401 course.
Vijay M. Rao, M.D. has been appointed to the Board of Directors of the RNSA. Dr. Rao is the first Jefferson physician appointed to this prestigious position.
Donald G. Mitchell, M.D. is serving as head of the MRI track for Refresher Courses at RSNA.
Adam F. Flanders, M.D. has been appointed Chair of the RSNA Radiology Informatics Committee.
Eric Gingold, Ph.D. has been appointed Co-Chair of the RSNA web-based physician education committee.
Alfred B. Kurtz, M.D. has been awarded the 2011 Distinguished Service Award by the Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound (SRU) for his service to both the SRU and to the field of Radiology.