Johns Hopkins University (1970)
Yale University - General Surgery (1970-1972), Urology (1972-79)
Surgery Branch, National Cancer Institute (1972-1975)
The Nathan Lewis Hatfield Professor of Urology
Professor of Radiology
Research and Clinical Interests
Dr. Bagley's major interests and expertise are in urologic endoscopy, laser therapy and the treatment of calculi and endoscopic treatment of tumors of the ureter and renal collecting system. He has been invited to speak internationally on his experience in these fields.
Dr. Bagley is a member of the major urologic and endoscopic organizations. He was recently Editor-in-Chief of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Endoscopy, an online Journal. He is also an Associate Editor of the Journal of Endourology and a reviewer for the Journal of Urology, Urology and British Journal of Urology International. Dr. Bagley is the author/co-author of 8 books on urologic endoscopy and has written over 300 original papers and chapters.
Dr. Bagley has been cited among the "Best Doctors in America" for stone treatment and ureteroscopy. He has been cited annually in Philadelphia magazine as one of the Top Doctors in Philadelphia. Dr. Bagley is an associate member of the Kimmel Cancer Center of Jefferson.
He is an internationally recognized expert in the field of endoscopy.
- Zeltser, I., Pearle, M.S. and Bagley, D.H.: Saline is Our Friend. Urology 74(1): 28-29, July 2009.
- Pak, R.W., Moskowitz, E.J. and Bagley, D.H.:What is the Cost of Maintaining a Kidney in Upper-Tract Transitional Cell Carcinoma? An Objective Analysis of Cost and Survival. J. Endourol. 23(3): 341-346, March 2009.
- Yanke, B.V., Lallas, C.D., Pagnani, C., McGinnis, D.E. and Bagley, D.H.: The Minimally Invasive Treatment of Ureteropelvic Junction Obstruction: A Review of Our Experience During the Last Decade. J Urol 180: 1397-1402, October 2008.
- Lin, L., Bagley, D.H. and Liu, J.B.: Role of Endoluminal Ultrasound Sonography in Evaluation of Obstruction of the Ureteropelvic Junction. Am J Roentgenol. 191(4): 1250-1254, October 2008.
- Adams, L.G., Berent, A.C., Moore, G.E. and Bagley, D.H.: Use of Laser Lithotripsy for Fragmentation of Uroliths in Dogs: 73 Cases. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 232 (11): 1-8 June, 2008.
- Yanke, B. V., Lallas, C.D., Pagnani, C. and Bagley, D.H.: Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Pyeloplasty: Technical Considerations and Outcomes. J. Endourol. 22(6):1-5, June 2008.
- Chawla SN, Chang MF, Chang A, LeNoir J and Bagley DH: Effectiveness of high-frequency Holmium:YAG laser stone fragmentation: The Popcorn Effect. J Endourol 22(4): 645-649, 2008.
- Zeltser, I.S. and Bagley, D.H.: Basket Design as a Factor in Retention and Release of Calculi In Vitro. J. Endourol.21(3): 337-342, March 2007.
- Kalra P, Le Ngoc-Bich and Bagley DH: Effect of Pulse Width on Object Movement In-vitro Using the Holmium:YAG Laser. J Endourol 21(2): 228-231, 2007.
- Bagley DH: Editorial Comment (Electrohydraulic and Laser Ureteroscopic Nephrolithotripsy of Renal Calculi). J Urol 177: 173, January 2007.
- Razdan, S., Johannes, J., Kuo, R.L. and Bagley, D.H.: The Camera Phone: A Novel Aid in Urologic Practice. Urology 67: 665-669,2006.
- Yanke, B., Bagley, D.H.: Ureteroscopic Endopyelotomy for the Treatment of Ureteropelvic Junction Obstruction (Chapter) in: Textbook of Reconstructive Urologic Surgery, ed by Montague, Angereier,Gill and Ross, Informa Healthcare, London, in press 2008.
- Yanke, B., Bagley, D.H.: (Chapter) Complications of Ureteroscopy. In Complications of Urologic Surgery and Practice /Loughlin /Ch32. Informa Healthcare, New York, In press 2008.
- Bagley, D.H.: Ureteroscopic Diagnosis and Treatment of Upper Urinary Tract Neoplasms (Chapter 33) In: Smith, A.D., Badlani, G.H., Bagley, D.H. et al. (eds). Smith's Textbook of Endourology,2nd Edition Ontario: BC Decker Publishing , Inc. pgs. 271-280, 2007.
- Bagley, D.H. and Berent, A.C.: Holmium Laser: Pulse Duration (Chapter). In Renal Stone Disease, 1st Annual International Urolithiasis Research Symposium, Nov. 2-3, 2006, Indianapolis, IN, ed by Evan, A.P, Lingeman, J.E. and Williams, J.C., American Institute of Physics Conference Proceedings, Volume 900, New York, 2007, pgs. 228-232.
- Bagley, D.H.: Ureteroscopic Treatment of Upper Tract Neoplasms (Chapter 16) In: Nakada, S and Pearle, M.S., editors. Advanced Endourology , New Jersey:Human Press, 2006, pgs. 267-279.
- Bagley, D.H.: Ureteroscopic Upper Tract Preserving Approaches in Urothelial Cancer (Chapter 22) In: Droller, S. Urothelial Tumors, Ontario, Canada, B.C. Decker, Inc. Publishers, 2004, pgs. 353-368.
- Bagley, D.H.: Urologic Endoscopy: A Manual and Atlas. Demetrius H. Bagley, Jeffry L. Huffman and Edward S. Lyon. Little, Brown & Co., Boston, Massachusetts, 1985.
- Bagley, D.H.: Ureteroscopy. Huffman, J.L, Bagley, D.H. and Lyon, E.S., W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1988.
- Bagley, D.H.: Associate Editor In: Gomela, L.G.: 5 Minute Urology Consult Book, Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2000.
- Bagley, D.H. and Das, A.K.: Endourologic Use of the Holmium Laser, Teton NewMedia, Jackson, Wyoming, 2001.
- Bagley, D.H. and Grasso, M.: Flexible Ureteroscopy with the Flex-X2 Ureteroscope (booklet) published by Karl Storz Endoscopy-America, Inc., Culver City, California, 2006.
- Smith, A.D., Badlani, G.H., Bagley, D.H., et al.(editors) Smith's Textbook of Endourology, 2nd Edition Ontario: BC Decker Publishing , Inc. 2007.