Thomas Jefferson University

Main menu:

Disability Accommodations

Thomas Jefferson University is committed to providing equal educational opportunities to all students, including students with disabilities. Under the law, a person with a disability is defined as an individual who (1) has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities (2) has a history or record of such impairment, or (3) is regarded as having such impairment.

A student requesting accommodation for a disability must contact the Assistant Provost of Student Affairs (215-503-6335, 1123 Edison Building) and submit documentation of that disability.  The documentation must:

  • Be from an appropriate medical professional.
  • Identify the disability and symptoms for which an accommodation is sought.
  • Describe the functional limitations of the disability and how these limitations limit any major life activity including participation in the courses, programs, services or activities of the college.
  • Include the names and scores of any specific testing or medical assessments used to make determinations.
  • Include suggested educational accommodations.
  • Be less than three years old.

The student must also provide documentation of accommodations (if any) provided at previous academic institutions and must make a written request for specific accommodations based on the foregoing information.

The Assistant Provost of Student Affairs will confer with a representative in the student’s school or department, appropriate campus physical or mental health professionals, or other University officials and additional specialists (as necessary) to determine the appropriateness of the requested accommodation and, when necessary, to attempt to identify an alternative reasonable accommodation.  The Assistant Provost of Student Affairs will communicate with the student to discuss the requested accommodation and/or to discuss alternative reasonable accommodations.

Students with disabilities are encouraged to submit their documentation early to allow adequate time to arrange accommodations prior to the beginning of classes. It is the student’s responsibility to inform faculty in each impacted course within the first week of class that an educational accommodation has been granted in order that proper arrangements may be made.

In most instances, the reasonable accommodation provided is acceptable to the student. However, if that is not the case, students should follow the Student Grievance Procedure outlined in the Student Handbook. Questions regarding the Disability Accommodation policy should be directed to the Assistant Provost of Student Affairs at (215) 503-6335.