Jefferson College of Biomedical Sciences & the Jefferson College of Population Health
These instructions should be followed by all students intending to be enrolled in the TJU Colleges above. However, only currently enrolled and officially accepted students may complete the online Banner Financial Aid application material.
In completing this process, students are reminded of the following:
- The submission of on-line application material certifies that the information is true and accurate to the best of your knowledge. If, after completing a segment of the application process, you find that the information has changed, you will need to submit corrections directly to the University Office of Student Financial Aid (Suite 115, Curtis Building).
- We recommend that you print a copy of the information you submitted for your records.
- Refer to the descriptions (as contextual links) below to ensure that you complete and submit all of the documents required for your 2017-2018 Financial Aid application. To assist you, you can track your progress using this Application Checklist.
Please read these instructions and click "PROCEED" at the end to continue with your financial aid application.
Special Note for Post-Baccalaureate
For FAFSA, you are considered a 5th year undergraduate student - this preparatory program is not considered a graduate program.
If you do not meet the federal definition for independent status, you will need to submit parent information using the IRS Data Retrieval Transfer process. Submitting parental information is a federal requirement.
As an undergraduate student, maximum Federal Direct Stafford loan eligibility is $12,500 for independent students and $7,500 for dependent students. The maximum amount in the Federal Direct Stafford loan will be processed for you, unless otherwise requested. Students in this program are not eligible for Federal Pell Grants.
Per Federal regulations, the Federal Graduate PLUS loan is not available to students in the Post-Baccalaureate program. Post-Baccalaureate students with unmet need beyond the Federal Direct Stafford loan must utilize Private Educational loans, or if dependent, have a parent borrow through the Federal Parent PLUS Loan program. See this link to get yourself started.
What Documents Must be Completed?
- 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), www.fafsa.ed.gov Use FAFSA Code E00799;
- To complete the FAFSA on-line go to www.fafsa.ed.gov (FAFSA Code E00799);
- Parent’s financial information must be included on the FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if the student is considered dependent by federal definition
- If you are required to complete a 2015 IRS Tax return, please do so online at least 14 days prior to completing the FAFSA. Per federal regulations, all students (and parents of dependent students) must participate in the IRS Data Retrieval Transfer (DRT). The DRT process will transfer tax return data directly to the FAFSA. This will eliminate the submittal of tax returns to the Financial Aid Office and greatly simplify the filing of the FAFSA. Those who do not use the DRT process when filing the FAFSA will be selected for a mandated Verification Process which will require, but may not be limited to, submitting an IRS Tax Transcript(s) to the Financial Aid Office. Receipt of an IRS tax transcript may take 2 – 4 weeks and thus significantly delay the processing of your application.
- Educational Plan —Highly Recommended that you complete this form because all Graduate Certificate students and all Master's students, are charged tuition on a per credit basis. Full time PhD students and Post-Baccalaureate students are exempt from this requirement.
In addition to the application requirements outlined above, you may need to submit supplemental documents if you are:
- Applying for Federal Work Study, then you must complete the Federal Work Study Application located on Banner Web;
- A First Year Student (2017-2018 will be the first academic year in which you are enrolled at Thomas Jefferson University), then you must complete
- A Federal Stafford Master Promissory Note (MPN) with the Federal Direct Loan program at http://studentloans.gov. Please us the generic Thomas Jefferson University as the school code. More info about the Federal Direct Stafford Loan is at Federal Direct Stafford/Other Loan Process.
- Entrance Counseling (sometimes referred to as an Entrance Interview). Entrance Counseling is required by federal mandate. Students can complete the online counseling “quiz” at http://studentloans.gov.
**Note: When asked to input your College, you must choose the generic 'Thomas Jefferson University' option. Do NOT choose any College-specific option (like Medical College or College of Health Professions).
Additional information covering federal, private, and institutional loans, federal academic progress standards, credit requirements and financial literacy information is located at the TJU University Entrance Interview Guide.
If you have questions about the application process, please feel free to contact the University Office of Student Financial Aid at 215-955-2867 or at Financial.Aid@jefferson.edu.