Thomas Jefferson University

Main menu:

TJU History Timeline

Year Event
1824 George McClellan established the Jefferson Medical College (JMC) in Philadelphia as the medical department of Jefferson College in Cannonsburg, Pennsylvania.
1826 First class graduated from JMC. Since then the school has graduated a class every year except in 1944 when, due to wartime needs, two classes graduated.
1838 JMC granted an independent charter from the Pennsylvania State Legislature.
1870 Alumni Association formed by Dr. Samuel D. Gross (JMC 1828).
1877 The first detached Jefferson Medical College Hospital (located between 10th and 11th Streets on Samson) opened.
1880 James Aitken Meigs Medical Association established.
1891 Jefferson Hospital Training School for Nurses opened with 13 students. First class graduates in 1893.
1892 Hare Medical Society founded in honor of Hobart A. Hare – Jefferson's first student society.
1895 JMC became a nonprofit-sharing corporation with a Board of Trustees to govern the establishment.
1911 Daniel Baugh Institute of Anatomy opened.
1949 Graduate program organized which led in 1969 to the formation of the College of Graduate Studies.
1961 First women medical students (9) matriculated in September and Jefferson became the last all-male medical school to become co-educational.
1967 School of Allied Health Sciences established.
1969 JMC granted full university status and the name changed to Thomas Jefferson University. The University includes Jefferson Medical College, the College of Graduate Studies, and the College of Health Professions.
1975 Thomas Jefferson University Archives established.
1978 Thomas Jefferson University Hospital opened.