News & Events
CHW Students Host a Bilingual Diabetes Awareness Day
The event will be held at the Bhutanese American Organization-Philadelphia on Saturday, August 6, 2016 from 12-2:30pm where the community will be provided samples of healthy traditional Bhutanese foods and small giveaway prizes for some of the health challenge exercises.
The CHW students will have presentations and table displays with topics of the following:
- Overview of Diabetes - A brief overview of diabetes and prediabetes, what it is, how it is diagnosed, risk factors, and prevention strategies.
- Know your Risk- Students will assist participants in completing the American Diabetes Association Are Your at Risk for Diabetes tool
- Complications of Diabetes- A brief overview of the major complications of diabetes, using demonstration models.
- Healthy Eating with Traditional Bhutanese and Napoli Foods- Using the Diabetes Plate Method, students will discuss traditional food options in meal planning and healthy snacks.
- Benefits of Physical Activity- A demonstration of physical activity through traditional Bhutanese and Napoli dance