Molds are fungi that are found naturally in the environment. Mold growth occurs when excessive moisture accumulates in buildings and on materials, particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or unaddressed. The key to preventing mold growth is to control moisture.
Molds produce tiny spores which waft through the air and into your lungs. Some people are sensitive to molds. The most common symptoms from molds are: runny nose, scratchy throat, wheezing, coughing, and eye and skin irritation. If you think you have symptoms related to mold exposure, you should consult a physician.
The Department of Environmental Health and Safety responds to all mold complaints. A safety officer will investigate the area containing mold growth and offer helpful advice for the cleanup of moldy surfaces and materials.
EH&S is responsible for notifying Facilities Services for the cleanup and sampling of mold. At times it may be required to call upon the services of an outside contractor to assist in the cleaning process.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the department of Environmental Health and Safety at (215) 503-6260