Fire Drill Procedures
Jefferson Hospital Buildings
Fire drills are conducted quarterly during the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd work shifts in all Jefferson owned hospital buildings.
The following procedures have been established and will be implemented by the Jefferson Fire Marshal.
- Hospital Administration, Security and Facilities Services will be notified of the time and location of the drill twenty-four (24) hours prior to its initiation.
- The Nursing staff at the selected drill location will be given a scenario of a fire in their unit and will be asked to initiate the Code Red procedures.
- The telephone operator, when notified by Security of a Code Red in progress, will announce over the public address (P.A.) system "Code Red" and its location three (3) times.
- The Security Command Center will notify the Facilities Services Control Room who will in turn notify members of the Emergency Response Team via radios. Additional Security personnel will be dispatched to the area.
- Emergency Response Team members responding to the Code Red location will sign an attendance sheet and wait at the location until the Code Red has been declared "All Clear".
- The operator will be notified when an "All Clear" has been established and will announce "Code Red, (the location), All Clear" three (3) times over the P.A. system.
- The Jefferson Fire Marshal will critique the procedures with the Nursing staff and emergency responders following the completion of the drill and will document observations.
Note: The date and time of fire drills will be announced in advanced. If you hear a fire alarm and there has been no prior notification, you must assume there is a real fire emergency.
Jefferson University Buildings
A fire drill for each building will be conducted at least quarterly. Alarm tests and area drills will be conducted quarterly.
Fire drills will be performed in all other (than hospital) buildings in the following manner:
- Security and Facilities Services will be notified of the time and location of the drill twenty-four (24) hours prior to its initiation.
- A fire alarm pull station will be activated to initiate the drill.
- Occupants of the 925 Chestnut, Clinical Office Building (COB), Jefferson Alumni Hall (JAH), Martin Building and Scott Library will evacuate the building upon activation of a fire alarm.
- Occupants of the Bluemle Life Science Building (BLSB), College, Curtis, Edison and Medical Office Building (MOB) should enter the nearest or primary fire tower and wait for further instructions.
- In buildings with a P.A. system, there will be three (3) announcements of "Fire Drill, All Clear" following the silencing of the bells.
Note: The date and time of fire drills will be announced in advance. If you hear a fire alarm and there has been no prior notification, you must assume there is a real fire emergency.
The latest edition of the Jefferson Fire Manual, which can be viewed here or obtained from the Department of Environmental Health & Safety, should be made readily available to all employees and reviewed occasionally at departmental staff meetings. New employees must be informed of the appropriate procedures from the fire manual.