Fire Prevention in the Work Place
Observing and reporting any fire safety hazards to your supervisor or the Jefferson Fire Marshal, extension 3-7153
Observing the “No Smoking Policy.”
Maintaining good housekeeping at all times, with particular attention to closet and storage spaces.
Making certain that gas and electricity for equipment or appliances are turned off when not in use and always when leaving the premises.
Storing chemicals properly:
- Be sure that all flammable liquids, such as alcohol, paint, or gas are stored in a proper container and are not close to a heat source.
- Store incompatible chemicals away from each other.
- Read labels and MSDSs for the fire hazards related to the chemicals being used.
- Clean flammable liquid spills right away and dispose of and clean up materials properly.
Keeping all electrical equipment in good working order:
- Don’t overload the electrical circuits.
- Make sure cords and plugs are in good condition before using electrical equipment.
- Try not to use extension cords. If you must use an extension cord, be sure it is the appropriate type and never plug one extension cord into another.
- Turn off all electrical equipment that smokes or sparks.
- Make sure electrical devices are free of dust.
Having fire extinguishers in the proper areas and be sure that all employees know where they are located and how to use them.
Keeping fire towers and exit ways clear of obstructions.