Careers in Bioscience Technologies
The Best of Both Worlds
Bioscience technologists don’t have to choose between health care and basic science – their work bridges both disciplines. You can find the personal satisfaction of diagnostic discovery in clinical laboratory medicine or the intellectual challenge of solving a vexing problem in basic science. Start your multifaceted path of discovery at Jefferson.
A Growth Industry
The demand for laboratory experts is expected to grow by 40 percent over the next 10 years, due in part to continued advances in biotechnology. Clinical diagnostics positions are also expected to grow at the same rate, with numerous upper level technical and supervisory positions becoming available as the laboratory workforce shifts. A bioscience technologies degree is sure to give you ever-expanding career options as you move forward.
The skills of the trained bioscience laboratory scientist are valuable in a variety of settings:
- hospitals, clinics and laboratories in the academic, corporate, government, forensic, veterinary, environmental, research and public health sectors
- outside the lab, in education or sales and marketing in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical equipment industries
- advanced education settings in medicine, veterinary science, the basic sciences or health systems.
An Impressive Track Record
Jefferson graduates are in demand at laboratories across the country. The most difficult part of your job search may be trying to decide among the multiple job offers you receive. Jefferson bioscience technologies students:
- are often in a position to choose from many different job opportunities
- benefit from the help of our experienced Career Development Center, which offers resume review, mock interviews, career assessments and other support
- attend on-campus interprofessional job fairs twice each year, providing access to about 100 employers from the Philadelphia region and beyond
- network with alumni and employers at panel discussions and other special events throughout the year.
There are proven pathways to success for Graduates
Recent Jefferson Bioscience Technologies graduates
- are recruited by labs from all over the U.S.
- had a 93 percent pass rate (exceeding the national pass rate) on the National Cytotechnology Board Exams over the past 5 years
There’s never been a better time to start your career as a Laboratory expert! Jobs are plentiful all across the country, and positions in clinical and research labs are expected to grow by 40% over the next 10 years.