Policies, Guidelines, & Procedures
This is the set of official policies, procedures, guidelines and SOPs that cover research animal use at the University. All the links are to PDF documents.
IACUC Policies, Guidelines, & SOPs
The IACUC maintains a set of policies, guidelines, and SOPs that govern the use of research animals at the University. Policies are rules that are reviewed and approved by the IACUC. If applicable, they must be followed unless there is scientific or veterinary justification not to. Guidelines are recommendations that investigators can use as an aid when describing a procedure in a protocol. They can not, however, be referenced in place of a description of a procedure. SOPs are descriptions of common animal use procedures. They are reviewed and approved by the IACUC and can be referenced, in place of a description of a procedure, in a protocol.
If applicable, these policies must be followed unless a scientific or veterinary justification is provided in the animal use protocol. In this regard, they are treated by the IACUC as rules or regulations.
Animal Welfare Policies
- Anesthesia, Analgesia, and Tranquilization
- Guidelines for Surgery of USDA Covered Species
- Guidelines for Surgery of Rodents
- Maintenance of Fluid Homeostasis in Rodents
- Use of Complete Freund's Adjuvant
- Utilization of Rodents in Experimental Neoplasia and Ascites Production
- Blood Collection
- Induction of Experimental Allergic Encephalomyelitis (EAE)
- Production of Monoclonal Antibodies in Laboratory Mice
- Housing of Rodents
Health & Safety Guidelines & Policies
- Occupational Health and Safety Program for Personnel with Significant Animal Exposure
- Safety Procedures for Handling and Care of Animals Exposed to Human Origin Tissue, Cells or Tumors
- Response Procedures to Animal Bites, Scratches and Related Injuries
- Management of Cercopithecine Herpesvirus 1 (formerly Herpes-virus simiae or "B" Virus) Exposures
- Safe Practices Using the Neurotoxin MPTP in the Animal Facility
Animal Protocol Policies
Compliance & Reporting Policies
These guidelines are provided as an aid to investigators when describing a procedure in an animal use protocol. They should not be referenced in place of a description of a procedure but investigators are free to use them in their descriptions.
- Alternatives to Animal Use and Painful Procedures
- Euthanasia Guidelines
- See also: Report of the AVMA Panel on Euthanasia
- Guidelines for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals in Patient Care Areas
- Guidelines for the Safe Use of Isoflurane in Animal Research
- Rodent Tumor Monitoring Guidelines
The IACUC has approved a number of SOPs for common animal use procedures. When writing an Animal Use Protocol, one can refer to these instead of writing out a description of the procedure.