PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FOLLOWING IS GENERAL INFORMATION AND MAY NOT APPLY TO YOUR SPECIFIC CIRCUMSTANCES. OIA STRONGLY ADVISES YOU TO CONTACT OUR OFFICE BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY PLANS TO TRAVEL, SO THAT WE MAY PROVIDE YOU WITH THE MOST CURRENT INFORMATION REGARDING TRAVEL CONDITIONS, RISKS AND VISA APPLICATION PROCEDURES.
If plan to travel outside of the U.S. and reenter in J-1 status, please visit OIA at least one week before you leave. To this visit, please bring the following:
- Your DS-2019
- Your valid passport with J-1 visa
- Your I-94 card/number
During this visit, a representative of OIA will prepare your documents for travel and provide you with any additional travel advisement. After you return to the U.S., please visit OIA with your passport, J-1 visa, DS-2019 and I-94 card/number so that we may make copies as needed for our records.
When you travel outside of the United States in J-1 status, you should have the following on your person to present to a CBP inspector at your return port of entry:
- Valid passport
- DS-2019 with a recent endorsement from a representative of TJU-OIA
- Letter from your supervisor stating that you are expected to return to Jefferson to continue your program. Click here for a sample J-1 travel letter.
- Proof of continuing funding:
o For exchange visitors employed by Jefferson: your most recent paycheck stubs.
o For exchange visitors sponsored by outside agencies: statement from your sponsoring
agency showing that this sponsorship is ongoing.
o For self-funded exchange visitors: current bank statements showing that you have
adequate funds to support yourself and any J-2 dependents upon your return to
- Valid J-1 visa stamp in your passport: If you do not have a valid J-1 visa stamp in your passport before you leave the U.S., you must make arrangements to apply for a new J-1 visa with a U.S. consular official while you are outside of the U.S. Click here for Links to U.S. Embassies and Consulates Abroad.
If you plan to travel to Mexico, Canada or other contiguous territory, please visit our page about Automatic Visa Revalidation.