Transfer a J-1 Scholar from Another U.S. Institution
1. DEPARTMENT COMPLETES DS-2019 REQUEST FORM
- Complete the Department portion of the application form (pages 1-2)
- Have the applicant complete page 3 of the application and send it to department
- *Invitation letter: must include a statement that the scholar will continue to do research in the area in which he or she originally intended when they first entered the U.S. in the J-1 status (e.g. if they entered the U.S. as a J-1 at another institution with the DS-2019 subject area of "Immunology," the scholar is not permitted to change the subject area to "Neuroscience" at Jefferson if the research is unrelated to immunology).
- If the scholar candidate is a medical doctor, the department must attach a signed certification printed on department letterhead (download template and make changes in the bracketed areas-->)
- Include all of the accompanying documents
- DEPARTMENT MUST send the application and the accompanying documents to OIA (Jeff Hall, M-70)
2. OTHER U.S. INSTITUTION TRANSFERS J-1 RECORD TO JEFFERSON
The J-1 Scholar must speak with their other institution to initiate the transfer of their immigration record to Thomas Jefferson University.
3. DEPARTMENT MAKES CHECK-IN APPOINTMENT WITH OIA
The department must be in contact with the scholar so that when he or she arrives, they can contact OIA to set up an appointment for check-in and orientation. The scholar must bring the following documents to the check-in:
- I-94 number
- DS-2019 Forms (and family's DS-2019 if accompanied)
- Health insurance information
4. OIA ISSUES DS-2019 FORM
OIA will issue the updated Form DS-2019 when the transfer record is received and when the scholar checks-in.