Joseph S. Gonnella, MD
Suite 320, Curtis Building
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 923-6939 fax
Most Recent Peer-reviewed Publications
- Eleven years of data on the jefferson scale of empathy-medical student version (JSE-S): Proxy norm data and tentative cutoff scores
- Predicting risk of hospitalisation or death: A retrospective population-based analysis
- Personality assessments and outcomes in medical education and the practice of medicine: AMEE Guide No. 79
- Editorial: Empathy and Health Care Quality
- Psychometrics of the scale of attitudes toward physician-pharmacist collaboration: A study with medical students
MD, Harvard Medical School - 1959
Distinguished Professor & Dean Emeritus
Department of Medicine
Research and Clinical Interests
Research interests have focused on the relationships between knowledge, capabilities and actual clinical performance. The results have led to instruments which have been used to evaluate educational programs, measure severity of illness (Disease Staging) and assess quality of care and costs.
Dr. Gonnella is Distinguished Professor of Medicine, Dean Emeritus of Jefferson Medical College, and founder of the Center. Dr. Gonnella received his B.A. from Dartmouth College (summa cum laude) and his M.D. from Harvard Medical College. He has been awarded the Commendatore dell’ordine della Stella della Solidarietà Italiana in 1978; the Grande Ufficiale in 1995 by the President of Italy; the Dongbaeg Medal by the President of Korea; the Presidential Medal by Dartmouth College; and the Presidential Citation by Thomas Jefferson University. He has received honorary degrees from the University of Chieti, Italy; SoonChunHyang University in Seoul, Korea, Widener University, the University of Minho in Portugal, and the International Medical University of Malaysia. He has also received an honorary professorship from Tianjin Medical College in Tianjin, China, and a Distinguished Fellowship from the International Medical University, Malaysia. In 1998 he received the Abraham Flexner Award from the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC).