Integrated Community Health
To achieve equity in health care access and outcomes for underserved population through community based collaborative programs through Thomas Jefferson University Hospital’s Center for Urban Health, Jefferson’s community health clinics, and in partnership with numerous community-based organizations.
- To integrate health care in a low-income, high-risk population, through the combination of community-based health care linked with community partnerships addressing socioeconomic determinants of health (including housing, zoning and access to healthy / affordable food).
- To integrate principles of community engagement and participation in the overall health care system.
- To conduct health services research from different perspectives such as strengthening community action plans, cost effectiveness analysis, and mixed method evaluation focused on components of the expanded chronic care model (ECCM).
- To build public advocacy to address the impact of social determinants on health equity.
- Aging and Health at Pathways
- Assessing Communication Between Primary Care and Psychiatry at an Urban Community Health Center
- Assessment of Food Security
- Career Support Network
- Changing Food Choices and Vending Machine through Point of Purchase Coding
- Community-Based Diabetes Self- Management Education
- Emergency Department Utilization
- Evaluating Process of Improvement at Pathways to Housing
- Exploring Barriers to Breast Cancer Prevention & Screening in Pathways to Housing
- Integrated Care Program Evaluation
- Integrating Cardiovascular Risk Reduction in Philadelphia Corner Stores
- Metabolic Syndrome Screening Project
- Person Centered Access to Care Team (PACT) Study
- Regional Enhancements Addressing Disconnects in Cardiovascular Health Communication
- Unequal Eye Care
DFCM RESEARCH TEAM
CONTACT: James Plumb, MD, MPH
White N, Brawer R, Plumb J. Using accreditation standards as a framework to evaluate and improve a community-based diabetes self-management education program. Popul Health Manag. 2014 Feb;17(1):8-12.
Matejkowski J1, Lee S, Henwood B, Lukens J, Weinstein LC. Perceptions of health intervene in the relationship between psychiatric symptoms and quality of life for individuals in supportive housing. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2013 Oct;40(4):469-75.
Toth-Capelli KM, Brawer R, Plumb J, Daskalakis C. Stage of change and other predictors of participant retention in a behavioral weight management program in primary care. Health Promot Pract. 2013 May;14(3):441-50.
Weinstein L, LaNoue M, Plumb J, King H, Stein B, Tsemberis S. A primary care-public health partnership addressing homelessness, serious mental illness, and health disparities. J Am Board Fam Med. 2013 May-Jun;26(3):279-87.
Henwood BF, Stanhope V, Brawer R, Weinstein LC, Lawson J, Stwords E, Crossan C. Addressing chronic disease within supportive housing programs. Prog Community Health Partnersh. 2013 Spring;7(1):67-75.
Weinstein LC, LaNoue MD, Collins E, Henwood B, Drake R. Health care integration for formerly homeless people with serious mental illness. J Dual Diagn. 2013;9(1):72-77.
Plumb JD, Weinstein LC, Scott KS, Brawer R. Community-based Partnerships for Improving Chronic Disease Management. Prim Care. 2012 Jun;39(2):433-47.White N, Brawer R, Plumb J, Harrod-Smith, P, Madison D. Evaluation of a community-based diabetes education program. Population Health Matters (Formerly Health Policy Newsletter): 2012: 25(3), Article 7.
Chakrabati R, Brawer R, Chamberlin S. Design, Implementation and evaluation of a color-coded labeling intervention on vending machines at an Academic Health Center. Society for Public Health Education Annual Meeting, Washington DC, March 2014.
Hemba KE, Simon R, Weinstein LC. JFMA Street Outreach: A Resident-Run Street Medicine Program. North American Primary Care Research Group Annual Meeting, Ottawa, ON, Nov 2013.
Weinstein L, Hurley K, LaNoue M, Sifri R, Myers R. Exploring Barriers and Facilitators to Breast Cancer Screening in Formerly Homeless Women With Serious Mental Illness Through Concept Mapping. North American Primary Care Research Group (NAPCRG) Annual Meeting, Ottowa, Ontario, Canada. November 2013.
Weinstein L, Hurley K, Verma M, Davis T, Bailey J. Breast Cancer Screening and Prevention in Formerly Homeless Women With Serious Mental Illness: Perspectives Through Photovoice. North American Primary Care Research Group (NAPCRG) Annual Meeting, Ottowa, Ontario, Canada. November 2013.
Brawer R, Plumb J, Simmons R, Romney M - Training Health Educators to Serve as Catalysts to Enhance Health Literacy: Changing our Healthcare System and Educating Consumers. American Public Health Association (APHA) Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, October 2013.
Plumb E. An Assessment of Refugee Health Provider Perceptions of Refugee Mental Health Needs in Philadelphia. North American Refugee Health Conference, June 6-8, 2013, Toronto, Canada.
Plumb E. Community-Based Approaches to Refugee Health: the Philadelphia Refugee Mental Health Photovoice Project. North American Refugee Health Conference, June 6-8, 2013, Toronto, Canada.
Plumb E. Lutheran Children and Family Services, The Magic Garden, & Mural Arts Program: Forming Interdisciplinary, Cross-Institutional, Community-Based Refugee Health Programming. North American Refugee Health Conference, June 6-8, 2013, Toronto, Canada.
Plumb J, Brawer R, White N, Madison, Harrod-Smith P. The Job Opportunity Investment Network Education on Diabetes in Urban Populations (JOINED-UP) Project -JCIPE – Interprofessional Care for the 21st Century – Refining Education and Practice. Philadelphia, PA. May 2012.
White N, Harrod-Smith P, Madison D, Brawer R, Plumb JD. Evaluation of a Community Based Diabetes Self-Management Education Program. Jefferson Center for Interprofessional Care Meeting: Interprofessional Care for the 21st Century: Redefining Education and Practice. May 18, 2012. Philadelphia, PA.
Brawer R, Plumb J, Cornman-Levy D. Job Opportunity Investment Network Education on Diabetes in Urban Population. Delaware Health Sciences Association 3rd Annual Research Symposium. May 2012. Philadelphia, PA.
Brawer R, Plumb J, White N. Job Opportunity Investment Network Education on Diabetes in Urban Populations (JOINED-UP) Project. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting. October 31, 2011. Washington, DC.