Patient Centered Risk Assessment & Communication
To study patterns of patient-provider communication occurring in the clinical visit setting. To study research methodologies for research that is conducted in a patient-centered manner.
We seek to develop interventions and strategies in which patients understand and can respond to information in a way that promotes their health, both from a research and a clinical perspective.
We seek to help patients translate concepts of health risk into metrics (which are important and understandable to them) and help in identification of their risk factors using a shared decision making process with their primary care providers
- To add to the scientific literature in the areas of patient-centered communication and patient-centered outcomes research.
- To acknowledge that any intervention for health risk reduction must take into account the patient’s perceptions and beliefs about health.
- To increase patient participation in their health care by making it easier for them to express their priorities regarding behavioral risk reduction.
- Patient Centered Cardiac Risk Assessment and Communication – Patient Perspectives
- Patient Centered Cardiac Risk Assessment and Communication – Physician Perspectives