Patient Centered Risk Assessment & Communication
To study patterns of patient-provider communication occurring in the clinical visit setting. To study research methodologies for research that is conducted in a patient-centered manner.
We seek to develop interventions and strategies in which patients understand and can respond to information in a way that promotes their health, both from a research and a clinical perspective.
We seek to help patients translate concepts of health risk into metrics (which are important and understandable to them) and help in identification of their risk factors using a shared decision making process with their primary care providers
- To add to the scientific literature in the areas of patient-centered communication and patient-centered outcomes research.
- To acknowledge that any intervention for health risk reduction must take into account the patient’s perceptions and beliefs about health.
- To increase patient participation in their health care by making it easier for them to express their priorities regarding behavioral risk reduction.
- Concept Mapping as a Scalable Method for Identifying Patient-Important Outcomes (funder: PCORI)
- Effect and Underlying Mechanisms of Melatonin on Blood Pressure, Insulin Resistance, and Endothelial Function (Funder: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)
- Implementation of a Novel Hypertension Clinical Practice Guideline in a Large Primary Care Practice: Process Evaluation, Uptake and Impact on Clinical Outcomes (Funder: AAFP Foundation)
- Impact of Adipokines and Insulin Resistance on Progression of Prehypertension (Funder: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)
- Patient Centered Cardiac Risk Assessment and Communication – Patient and Physician Perspectives
- Target Organ Damage Outcomes for Prehypertension and Obesity in Black Adolescents–(Funder: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)
- TECOS: A Randomized, Placebo Controlled Clinical Trial to Evaluate Cardiovascular Outcomes after Treatment with Sitagliptin in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Inadequate Glycemic Control (Funder: Merck)
- Validation of the Jefferson Scale of Empathy (JSE) (Funder: Gold Foundation)
Cheng C, Daskalakis C. Association of adipokines with insulin resistance, microvascular dysfunction, and endothelial dysfunction in healthy young adults. Mediators Inflamm. 2015;2015:594039. Epub 2015 Oct 13.
Cheng C, Lee CW, Daskalakis C. A reproducible computerized method for quantitation of capillary density using nailfold capillaroscopy. J Vis Exp. 2015 Oct 27;(105). doi: 10.3791/53088.
Chambers CV, Axell-House DB, Mills G, Bittner-Fagan H, Rosenthal MP, Johnson M, and Stello B. Primary Care Physicians’ Experience and Confidence with Genetic Testing and Perceived Barriers to Genomic Medicine. J Fam Med 2015; 2(2): 1-7.
Grinberg C, Hawthorne M, LaNoue M, Brenner J, Mautner D. The core of care management: The role of authentic relationships in caring for patients with frequent hospitalizations. Popul Health Manag. 2015 Nov 13. [Epub ahead of print].
LaNoue MD, Harvey AS, Mautner D, Scott KS, Ku B. Confirmatory factor analysis and invariance testing between blacks and whites of the Multidimensional Health Locus of Control scale. Health Psychology Open. 2015; 2(2): doi: 10.1177/2055102915615045.
LaNoue M, Cunningham A, Mills G, Sharbaugh A. Concept Mapping as a Tool for Engaging Patients and Providers in Clinical Quality Improvement. North American Primary Care Research Group Annual Meeting, Cancun, Mexico, October 2015.
Mills G, LaNoue M, Cheng C, Payton C, Valko G. Implementation of a Hypertension Clinical Practice Guideline in a Large Academic Primary Care Practice. North American Primary Care Research Group Annual Meeting, New York, NY, November 2014.