Patient Centered Risk Assessment & Communication
To study patterns of patient-provider communication occurring in the clinical visit setting. To study research methodologies for research that is conducted in a patient-centered manner.
We seek to develop interventions and strategies in which patients understand and can respond to information in a way that promotes their health, both from a research and a clinical perspective.
We seek to help patients translate concepts of health risk into metrics (which are important and understandable to them) and help in identification of their risk factors using a shared decision making process with their primary care providers
- To add to the scientific literature in the areas of patient-centered communication and patient-centered outcomes research.
- To acknowledge that any intervention for health risk reduction must take into account the patient’s perceptions and beliefs about health.
- To increase patient participation in their health care by making it easier for them to express their priorities regarding behavioral risk reduction.
- Effect and underlying mechanisms of melatonin on blood pressure, insulin resistance, and endothelial function (Funder: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)
- Implementation of a Novel Hypertension Clinical Practice Guideline in a Large Primary Care Practice: Process Evaluation, Uptake and Impact on Clinical Outcomes (Funder: AAFP Foundation)
- Impact of adipokines and insulin resistance on progression of prehypertension (Funder: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)
- Patient Centered Cardiac Risk Assessment and Communication – Patient Perspectives– Mills and LaNoue
- Patient Centered Cardiac Risk Assessment and Communication – Physician Perspectives
- Target Organ Damage Outcomes for Prehypertension and Obesity in Black Adolescents–(Funder: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)
- TECOS: A Randomized, Placebo Controlled Clinical Trial to Evaluate Cardiovascular Outcomes after Treatment with Sitagliptin in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Inadequate Glycemic Control (Funder: Merck)
Mills G, LaNoue M, Cheng C, Payton C, Valko G. Implementation of a Hypertension Clinical Practice Guideline in a Large Academic Primary Care Practice. North American Primary Care Research Group Annual Meeting, New York, NY, November 2014.