James S. Harrop, MD, FACS,
Director, Associate Professor
James S. Harrop, MD, FACS,
Ashwini Sharan, MD,
Srinivas Prasad, MD,
Alexander R. Vacarro, MD,
Professor, Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery
D. Greg Anderson, MD,
Associate Professor, Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery
Jefferson Neurosurgery offers residents exposure in all aspects of diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of a variety of spinal pathologies. Breadth of clinical experience runs the gamut from minimally invasive decompression and fusion techniques to combined anterior and posterior reconstructions for trauma. Operative functional neurosurgical pain management is also well represented. We work closely with orthopaedic surgery in the evaluation and management of complex spine pathology. Jefferson residents are exposed to a variety of instrumentation techniques.
Clinical Studies in Spinal Neurosurgery
- Atlanto-occipital dislocation injuries: A retrospective review of management and outcome. PI: J. Harrop. COIs: A. Vaccaro, A. Sharan, J. Ratliff, S. Kerr.
- The use of expandable vs. non-expandable cages in vertebral body replacement surgery: A retrospective outcome review. PI: J. Harrop. COIs: A. Sharan, A. Vaccaro.
- Magnetic resonance imaging of spinal cord injuries: Correlation with clinical findings and outcome. PI: J. Harrop. COIs: A. Sharan, A Vaccaro, A. Flanders, J. Ratliff
- A retrospective study evaluating impedance changes over time with spinal cord stimulation systems. PI: A. Sharan.
- Evaluation of outcome following spinal cord injury in the geriatric population. PI: A. Sharan. COIs: J. Harrop, D. Fassett.
- FlexiCore intervertebral disc for the treatment of discogenic pain associated with degenerative disc disease. PI: J. Harrop. COIs: A. Sharan, A. Vaccaro, T. Albert, A. Hillibrand.
- Congenital cervical spine abnormalities presenting as fractures. A retrospective review. PI: J. Harrop. COIs: A. Sharan, A. Flanders.
- A phase I/IIa dose-ranging study to evaluate the safety, tolerability, and pharmacokinetics of BA-210 and the neurological status of patients following administration of a single extradural application of Cethrin during surgery for acute thoracic and cervical spinal cord injury. PI: J. Harrop. COIs: A. Sharan, A. Vaccaro, T. Albert, A. Hillibrand, R. Marino, A. Burns.
- Correlation of vertebral artery occlusion to specific types of cervical spine injuries. PI: J. Harrop. COIs: A. Sharan, A. Flanders, L. Belin.
- Relationship of pre-existing functional C2-C3 fusion with odontoid fracture PI: J. Harrop.
- A multi-center retrospective cervical facet fracture/subluxation study PI: J. Harrop.
- CT and MRI of the occipitocervical angle and surrounding vascular bed: Preparations for occipitocervical fusion. PI: A. Sharan. COIs: J. Harrop, A. Vaccaro, T. Albert, A. Hillibrand, A. Flanders.
- A retrospective review of serial MRIs to determine parameters for spinal cord images post-injury. PI: A. Sharan, COI: H. Moulding.
- Prospective multicenter randomized controlled study to compare the spinal sealant system as an adjunct to sutured dural repair to standard of care methods during spinal surgery. PI: A. Sharan, COIs: J. Harrop, J. Ratliff.
- Prospective randomized study comparing the use of HEALOS to autograft in a transforaminal interlumbar interbody fusion approach. PI: J. Harrop. COIs: A. Sharan, A. Hillibrand, J. Ratliff.
- A prospective randomized clinical study comparing the timing of surgical intervention in the management of central cord syndrome. PI: J. Harrop. COIs: A. Sharan, T. Albert, A. Hillibrand, J. Ratliff, G. Anderson, R. Marino, S. Dante, A. Burns.
- Ventriculoperitoneal shunt following cerebellar hemorrage: Prediction factors. PI: A. Sharan. COIs: P. Jabbour, J. Ratliff.
In the News
As seen in Philadelphia Magazine: Jefferson Neurosurgeons are consistently named Top Docs.
Phase I Immunotherapy Trial for Treatment of Malignant Gliomas is underway at the Jefferson Tumor Brain Center
Jefferson Neurosurgeon Helps Revise Guidelines on Management of Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhages