Javad Parvizi, MD, FRCS
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Most Recent Peer-reviewed Publications
- Prevention of Periprosthetic Joint Infection
- Intraoperative Purulence Is Not Reliable for Diagnosing Periprosthetic Joint Infection
- Premature Therapeutic Antimicrobial Treatments Can Compromise the Diagnosis of Late Periprosthetic Joint Infection
- CORR Insights®: Increased Risk of Periprosthetic Femur Fractures Associated With a Unique Cementless Stem Design
- Is Neuraxial Anesthesia Safe in Patients Undergoing Surgery for Treatment of Periprosthetic Joint Infection?
University of Sheffield, United Kingdom - 1991
Mayo Medical Center, Rochester MN
Mayo Medical Center, Rochester MN University of Berne, Switzerland
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Expertise and Research Interests
Dr. Parvizi is a board certified orthopaedic surgeon specializing in pelvis, hip, and knee reconstruction with a special interest in hip pain in young adults and joint preservation procedures. He is the director of Clinical Research at the Rothman Institute.
Dr. Parvizi completed his medical training in the United Kingdom graduating from University of Sheffield in 1991. He completed his surgical training at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN and fellowship training with Professor Reinhold Ganz in Iselspital, Switzerland. His training also includes a master''s degree from the Mayo Foundation in Molecular Biology that involved evaluating bone healing and cartilage repair.
Dr. Parvizi brings a new and unique expertise for treatment of hip pain in young adults, which includes Ganz''s Periacetabular Osteotomy and other non-replacement surgeries for the hip.
He is a member of various societies including the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Orthopaedic Research Society. He is actively involved in basic science research particularly related to Smart Self-Protective Implants that resist infection.