Over the years many members and graduates of the Department have held prominent positions in radiology societies, and have made important scientific contributions to the field of medical imaging.
Department of Radiology
The Department of Radiology at Thomas Jefferson University has a history that dates back to 1896, the year after Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen discovered x-rays. Originally located in the Department of Pathology, many of the early Jefferson faculty were leaders in the development of radiology as a separate medical specialty. A distinguished succession of radiologists have served as chair of the department beginning with Willis F. Manges, MD who was appointed in 1904.
Today the Jefferson Department of Radiology is recognized as one of the premier departments in the country based on academic productivity, clinical expertise and excellence in educational programs. Through its training programs, publications, and scientific presentations, the Department has played a major role in radiology education. Its residency and fellowship programs are some of the most sought after in the country. At the same time the Department faculty remain committed to excellence in clinical practice which is the hallmark of Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals.
In the News
Vijay M. Rao, MD, FACR, received the Gold Medal Award from the Association of University Radiologists' Annual Meeting held in April 2014. The Gold Medal is awarded in recognition of unusually distinguished service or contributions to the Association of University Radiologists, academic radiology, or the field of radiology in general.
Adam E. Flanders, MD was inducted as President of the American Society of Spine Radiology at their recent meeting in February 2014.
William Morrison, MD was inducted as President of the Society of Skeletal Radiology in March 2014.