This course will provide a foundation for the use of state-of-the-art techniques in vascular diagnosis. Emphasis is placed on a thorough understanding of the basic principles underlying the Doppler examination and clinical applications using color and spectral Doppler techniques.
Presentation topics include:
- Doppler and Color Doppler Physics and Instrumentation
- Interpretation of Spectral and Color Doppler
- Carotid Doppler
- Upper and Lower Extremity Venous Disease
- Abdominal Doppler
Techniques in diagnosis of peripheral arterial and venous disease are also covered. Applications in the abdomen and pelvis are discussed.
Lectures are complemented by demonstrations, informal question and answer sessions and hands-on scanning.
At the end of the three-day didactic session, participants have an opportunity to practice and apply the knowledge they have acquired by joining an optional, intensive practicum on the fourth day. Small group scanning sessions will run from 9:00 am to noon, providing an opportunity to gain hands-on experience using a wide variety of modern instrumentation. Scanning in informal tutorial groups is conducted under the guidance of experienced vascular technologists.
After attending the entire course, the participant should be able to:
- recognize the relationship between acoustic principles, hemodynamics, and the sonographic representation of major vessels and blood flow
- identify the ultrasound findings of abnormal examination
- describe the capabilities and limitations of Doppler ultrasound in assessment of vascular disease
- perform basic scanning of the vascular system
This program is approved for 20.5 hours of AMA Category I credit.
Tuition Fee: $1,500 plus an additional $300 for the Optional Hands-On Session
If you must cancel your registration, please notify us immediately. Your registration payment, less an administrative fee of $100, is refundable if written notification is received 10 business days prior to the course. After that time, refunds are not possible, but your payment - less the administrative fee - may be credited to a future course for use within one calendar year. We reserve the right to cancel this course at any time. We will contact you should cancellation be necessary. If you have any questions, please call the Ultrasound Education Office at 215/955-8533.