We at Jefferson Medical College are eager to show you the benefits to be gained through training in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) as a colleague in our Department of Rehabilitation Medicine. Our College and Department will continue their long tradition of commitment to quality education. We are associated, through the Jefferson Health System with a vast array of clinical rehabilitation facilities. Their staffs include PM&R physicians expert in all aspects of the specialty. Many are nationally and internationally known for their expertise. As Chairman, I intend, with faculty help, to effectively use these resources.
Our specialty is a comprehensive one addressing a wide range of clinical problems, which place people at risk for functional loss. The style of practice in PM&R is one of close relationship to patients in order to work together with them to solve these problems. Our faculty, both senior and junior, demonstrates an enthusiasm for our profession because of the satisfaction it provides.
Our Department collaborates with many others to enrich the educational opportunities of our resident:
- Sports Medicine with Orthopaedic Surgery.
- Musculoskeletal Medicine and Work Fitness with Occupational Medicine.
- Acute and Chronic Pain Programs with Anesthesiology, Orthopaedics, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry.
- Arthritis and Osteoporosis with Rheumatology.
- Spinal Cord Injury with Trauma, Internal Medicine, Neurosurgery and Orthopaedic Surgery.
- Stroke, Brain Injury and Vascular Amputee Programs with Neurology, Vascular surgery and Neurosurgery.
- Pediatric Rehabilitation with Pediatrics.
- Electrodiagnosis with Neurology.
We invite you to explore what we can offer, and to join us as you begin a new phase of your professional life.
John L. Melvin, MD
Professor and Chairman, Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation