The Program selects only from among the pool of eligible applicants and evaluates each applicant on the basis of their preparedness, ability, academic credentials, communication skills and personal qualities such as motivation, honesty and integrity. The program does not discriminate with regard to sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Applicants must fulfill all of the qualifications for appointment as outlined by the institution. Namely, applicants must be one of the following:
- Graduates of Medical Colleges in the United States and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduates of medical Colleges outside the United States and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications: have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) or have a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a United States jurisdiction. The institution does sponsor J1 and H1 visas.
- Graduates of medical Colleges outside the United Sates who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME accredited medical College.
The Department will only accept those application materials sent electronically through ERAS®. All applications must be received by October 15, 2015 for the applicant to be considered.
A complete application includes:
- three letters of recommendation from general surgeons
- USMLE board scores *
- an official medical College transcript
- a Dean’s letter, and
- a personal statement
- international graduates must submit a valid ECMFG certificate
Application deadline: October 15, 2015
* USMLE step I score is required at time of application. USMLE step II score is required before the first day of internship, but is strongly preferred before submission of final rank list.
Please contact the Residency Coordinator if you have questions:
Donna Guinto, CTAGME
Department of Surgery
1015 Walnut Street, Suite 620
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Tel: (215) 955-6864
Fax: (215) 955-2878
Thursday, November 19, 2015
Saturday, November 21, 2015
Saturday, December 12, 2015
Saturday, January 9, 2016
If you accept the invitation to interview at Jefferson, your visit will consist of the following:
- Reception the evening prior to each interview day
- Sit down breakfast, welcome and overview by the Program Director, Dr. Karen Chojnacki, and the Chairman, Dr. Charles J. Yeo
- One-on-one interview with Chairman
- One-on-one interview with Program Director
- Two separate faculty interviews
- Optional tour of Jefferson provided by our Surgical Residents
- Lunch with Residents and Faculty
Residents and staff will be available at all times to answer any questions you may have.
Once you have completed two interviews with the attending staff, interviews with the Chairman and Program Director and your optional tour, your day with us is complete. However, you are welcome to stay as long as you desire, ask questions, and tour Philadelphia.