By 1844, Jefferson Medical College was providing patient beds over a shop located at 10th and Sansom Streets. After the construction of Jefferson Hospital's first free The Old Amphitheatre, “pit” standing facility in 1877, clinical lectures and surgery were still held in the “pit”. Jefferson Hospital was a 125-bed facility and one of the first in the nation affiliated with a medical school, opened in 1877.
Throughout the 1800's Jefferson boasted of some of the strongest medical school faculty in the United States. Physicians such as Dr. Robley Donglison, Thomas Jefferson's personal doctor, Joseph Pancoast, Thomas Mutter, Charles E. Meigs, and others including one of the greatest surgical educators of all time, Dr. Samuel D. Gross, were on the faculty. Jefferson Medical College's proprietary school days ended in 1895 with a board of trustees administratively and financially responsible for both the Jefferson Medical College and the Jefferson Hospital. In 1969, Thomas Jefferson University was established, and incorporated Jefferson Medical College, the College of Allied Health Sciences, the College of Graduate Studies and the Jefferson Medical College Hospital.