Tenure Application Process
Tenure application must include:
- The Applicant’s Up-to-Date Curriculum Vitae and Educational Portfolio.
- Letters of reference, which will be solicited by the tenure committee, from at least eight (8) tenured Professors in the applicant’s field who are external to the University, and will include at least one letter from a source outside of the United States. The requirement for an international referee may be waived at the discretion of the committee. A minimum of six letters must be received for the application to be eligible for committee review. Letters should evaluate the nominee’s qualifications for tenure using the TJU Criteria for Tenure and must be dated within one year of the Tenure Committee meeting during which the candidate’s application is considered. The applicant is asked to provide a list of 5 possible referees to the committee, including name, title and contact information for each referee. The applicant is also asked to provide the names of individuals who should not be asked to serve as a referee for reasons of potential conflict of interest. The committee may solicit references from the candidate’s list, as well as letters of reference from individuals not suggested by the applicant.
- A letter from the Chair supporting the request for tenure, outlining the applicant’s qualifications with reference to the minimum Criteria for Tenure (i.e., sustained original scholarship, service to the profession, contribution to University missions, and high ethical and moral standards). In addition, the Chair’s letter should evaluate the applicant’s prospects for long-term continued contributions to the missions of the University, with specific reference to the dynamic and evolving nature of biomedical science and healthcare, where scientific advancements and reliance on external funding agencies preclude reliable predictions of future academic career success.
- Evidence of verification of credentials.
- Completed Tenure Application Questionnaire.
Completed Applications should be sent to:
Office of Faculty Records
1025 Walnut St. Suite G-4
Tenure Application Questionnaire
Please provide complete answers to the following questions.*
- Summarize your scientific or scholarly contributions to the fields of medicine, the health professions, the biomedical sciences and/or to education in these fields. Clearly state the impact of these contributions to the field. Use language that may be understood by other faculty who are not expert in your field.
- Discuss ways that you have assumed a leadership role in the biomedical and/or health professional communities and the contributions you have made through these roles.
- Discuss how you have contributed to the welfare of the University (TJU or if you are a new faculty member, the university or institution from which you came) through its education and service missions and outline your plans for future contributions to these missions at TJU.
- Describe how you have demonstrated and modeled high ethical and moral standards in the performance of your professional responsibilities. Describe any incidents in which your professional ethics were called into question by any individual or committee, formally or informally, and as to each, briefly describe the issue and its resolution.
- Outline your plans for long-term continued contributions to the missions of the University, with specific reference to the dynamic and evolving nature of biomedical science and healthcare, where scientific advancements and reliance on external funding agencies preclude reliable predictions of future academic career success.
* In total, the applicant’s responses to the questions should not exceed 3 pages using 12 point font and single spacing.