|Award||Key Eligibility||# Awards|
|Hyman Menduke Research Award for MD Student||Research – graduating MD student||1|
|Hyman Menduke Research Award for MD/PhD Student||Research – graduating MD/PhD student||1|
There are two research awards that are presented to Sidney Kimmel Medical College students.
The Hyman Menduke Research Award (est. 1980) is sponsored by Dr. Michael Le Witt of the Class of 1974 in honor of Hyman Menduke, PhD, who was Director of Sponsored Programs at SKMC. These are presented during the Class Day ceremony to a graduating MD student Sidney Kimmel Medical College. Both include a monetary award.
The selection for both awards is made by the Jefferson Committee on Research, on the basis of:
- Mentor’s nominating/support letter.
- Breadth, depth, and quality of research completed while a student at Jefferson.
- Education/training, research presentations, posters, abstracts, and publications.
- Participation in SKMC research programs (e.g., Summer Student Research Program, College within the College, MD/PhD and other Graduate Degree Programs).
- Research career plan.
Nomination for an award
The following are required as nominating materials for any of the two awards:
- A faculty mentor’s nominating/support letter (max 1 page). The letter should specify whether the student is in the MD or MD/PhD program, and for which award(s) he/she is being nominated. It should also summarize the breadth, depth, and quality of the student’s research, as well as his/her potential as a future clinician researcher.
- The student’s CV (max 3 pages). This should include separate sections listing education/training, all research activities while a student at Jefferson, presentations, posters, abstracts, and peer-reviewed publications.
Students who have conducted research outside Jefferson are eligible. In such cases, a letter may be submitted from a non-Jefferson mentor. In case of multiple projects, up to 3 letters of support may be submitted. The deadline for submission of the nominating packet is typically around the middle of February.
The deadline for the class of 2016 is 5PM February 11, 2016.
Nomination materials should be submitted electronically as a single packet by the student to Annette Chesson. Please clearly specify which award(s) the nomination is for.