Swan, Beth Ann
Beth Ann Swan, PhD, CRNP, FAAN
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 923-1468 fax
Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Robert Wood Johnson/Campbell
Collaboration, University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education 2002
PhD, University of Pennsylvania, 1996
MSN, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, 1983
BSN, Holy Family College, 1980
American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
Professor, Jefferson College of Nursing, Thomas Jefferson University
Research & Clinical Interests
Care Coordination and Transition Management
Role of RNs in Ambulatory Care and Primary Care
Technology Applications for Practice-Based Research
Client Outcomes, Symptom Distress and Functional Status, Following Ambulatory Surgery
Dissemination of Evidence, Accessibility and Usability of Web-based Evidence Resources
2016-2017, Co-Investigator, Connelly Foundation, “The Communication Catalyst Program”, Dr. Mary Ann McGinley PI
2012-2014, Principal Investigator, DHHS HRSA Bureau of Health Professions, Division of Nursing "Advanced Education Nursing Traineeship"
2011-2014, Principal Investigator, DHHS HRSA Bureau of Health Professions "Promoting Health Access: Online Graduate Programs for Rural Underserved Communities"
2011-2012, Principal Investigator, Jefferson School of Nursing, Thomas Jefferson University "The Impact of a Teaching-Learning Technology Initiative on Student and Faculty Outcomes: A One-to-One iPad Pilot Study"
2010, Principal Investigator, Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research (AHRQ) "Ambulatory Care Registered Nurse Performance Measurement Conference"
2007-2010, Principal Investigator, DHHS HRSA Bureau of Health Professions, Division of Nursing "Promoting Health Access: Online Graduate Programs for Rural Underserved Communities"
2007-2009, Principal Investigator, Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research (AHRQ) "Delirium Screening: From Research to Point of Care"
2010-2011, Principal Investigator, DHHS HRSA Bureau of Health Professions, Division of Nursing "Advanced Education Nursing Traineeship"
2009-2010, Principal Investigator, DHHS HRSA Bureau of Health Professions, Division of Nursing "Advanced Education Nursing Traineeship"
2008-2009, Principal Investigator, DHHS HRSA Bureau of Health Professions, Division of Nursing "Advanced Education Nursing Traineeship"
2007-2008, Principal Investigator, DHHS HRSA Bureau of Health Professions, Division of Nursing "Advanced Education Nursing Traineeship"
2005-2007, Knowledge Developer, Aurora-Cerner-University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (ACW) Project "Knowledge-Based Nursing: Evidence Synthesis to Guide Clinical Practice"
Robert Wood Johnson Nurse Faculty Scholars Program:
Primary (Nursing) Mentor, 2011-2014
American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing:
Co-Chair, Care Coordination Expert Panels, 2012-Present
Member, Health Care Reform Advisory Team, 2011-Present
Immediate Past President, 2007
Treasurer, Board of Directors, 2004-2005
Secretary, Board of Directors, 2001-2004
Chair, Practice Evaluation and Research Committee, 1999-2001
Chair, Research Committee, 1998-1999
Member, Research Committee, 1996-1998
American Nurses' Association; Pennsylvania Nurses' Association
International Council on Womens Health Issues (ICOWHI, Board of Directors, 2004-2006
Sigma Theta Tau, Xi Chapter, Delta Rho Chapter
Member, Review/Steering Committee Standardizing Ambulatory Care Performance Measures, National Quality Forum (NQF)
Member, Take Care Health National Medical Advisory Board
Awards And Honors
2017 President’s Above and Beyond Award, American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing
2016 Chairman's Excellence Award, Board of Trustees, Thomas Jefferson University
2015 Distinguished Fellowship, National Academies of Practice, Distinguished Scholar and Fellow, Nursing Academy
2013 Natinal Women's Leadership Forum, American Council on Education
2012 AACN-Wharton Executive Leadership Program
2011 Dean's Faculty Achievement Award, Jefferson School of Nursing, Thomas Jefferson University
2010 Honorary Visiting Expert, Health Manpower Development Plan (HMDP) Ministry of Health, Singapore
2007-2010 Robert Wood Johnson Executive Nurse Fellowship
2009 Nightingale Awards of Pennsylvania, Excellence in Nursing Research
2009 American Journal of Nursing (AJN) Book of the Year Award
2007 Distinguished Nursing Alumni Award, Holy Family University
2005 Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
2002 Outstanding Alumni Award for Leadership in Nursing, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
Bouchaud, M., Brown, D., & Swan, B.A. (2017). Creating a new education paradigm to prepare nurses for the 21st century. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 7(10), 27-35.
Jessie, A.T & Swan, B.A. (2017). Leveraging national reports to transform ambulatory care practice. Nursing Economic$, 35(2), 96-99.
Scherzer, R., Dennis, M., Swan, B.A., Kavuru, M. & Oxman, D. (2016). A comparison of usage and outcomes between nurse practitioner and resident-staffed medical ICUs. Critical Care Medicine.
Bouchaud, M., Swan, B.A., Gerolamo, A., Black, K., Alexander, K., Bellet, J. et al. (2016). Accelerating design and transforming baccalaureate nursing education to foster a culture of health. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 6(11), 97-103.
Swan, B.A. & McGinley, M.A. (2016). Nurse-patient communication: A catalyst for improvement. Nursing Management, June.
Bouchaud, M. & Swan, B.A. (2016). Integrating correctional and community health care: An innovative approach for clinical learning in a baccalaureate nursing program. Nursing Forum, April.
Giroir, B., Wilensky, G., Armstrong, K., Barksdale, D., Blanck, R., Burke, W., Cassel, C., Chiarelli, P., Halvorson, G., Mallett, R., Margolis, R., Poste, G., Robbins, R., Smith, M., Steele, G., & Swan, B.A. (2015). Reforming the Veterans Health Administration: Beyond palliation of symptoms (Perspectives). New England Journal of Medicine. September 30, 2015DOI: 10.1056/NEJMp1511438
Fortier, M., Fountain, D., Vargas, M., Heelan-Fancher, L., Perron, T., Hinic, K., & Swan, B.A. (2015). Health care in the community: Developing academic/practice partnerships for care coordination and managing transitions. Nursing Economic$, 33(3), 167-175, 181.
Most Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Integrating Correctional and Community Health Care: An Innovative Approach for Clinical Learning in a Baccalaureate Nursing Program
- Developing the value proposition for the role of the registered nurse in care coordination and transition nagement in ambulatory care settings.
- Evaluating tablet technology in an undergraduate nursing program
- After the hospital: The author replies
- Developing ambulatory care registered nurse competencies for care coordination and transition management
- A nurse learns firsthand that you may fend for yourself after a hospital stay
- A teaching-learning initiative with tablet computing
- Kids into health careers: A rural initiative
- Health care reform: Current updates and future initiatives for ambulatory care nursing
- Factors influencing the implementation of a point-of-care screening tool for delirium.
- Implementing an MSN nursing program at a distance through an urban-rural partnership
- Evaluating Care in ED Fast Tracks
- Knowledge, attitudes, and practice behaviors of oncology advanced practice nurses regarding advanced care planning for patients with cancer.
- Ambulatory care registered nurse performance measurement
- Optimizing vitamin d status to reduce colorectal cancer risk: An evidentiary review
- Growing ambulatory care nurse leaders in a multigenerational workforce
- Growing ambulatory care nurse leaders: Building talent from the primed pipeline
- Promoting prevention and early recognition of malignant melanoma.
- Making nursing-sensitive quality indicators real in ambulatory care
- Transitioning from acute care to ambulatory care