Thomas Jefferson University has Emergency Phones positioned throughout the campus. The phones are continuously monitored by TJU Security Officers in the Security Response Center. If needed, push the read button and you will be able to speak directly to a security officer.
Thomas Jefferson University and Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Inc. as part of their overall security program, utilize a state-of-the-art access control system. The Security Department is responsible for all programming of access cards as well as the monitoring of all activity in our buildings.
This technology is utilized in our campus-sensitive areas as well as Residence Halls and office buildings. The Security Response Center can monitor the activity at these installations, permit remote access via the use of CCTV and access control, and respond rapidly to any non-authorized attempts at entry.
The system also maintains an electronic journal which permits the Security Department to review activity at any of these installations as a follow-up to an investigation or any questions regarding activity in particular laboratories, etc.
The Security Department also approves all requests for conventional keys / lock installations throughout the University and Hospital.
Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Locations
Thomas Jefferson University's security officers act as first responders for medical emergencies on Jefferson's campus. Automated External Defibrillators (AED's) have been placed at locations on the Jefferson campus.
Thomas Jefferson University Buildings:
- Edison Building lobby - by security desk
- Martin Building lobby - by security desk
- Bluemle Life Sciences Building lobby - by security desk
- Jefferson Alumni Hall - by security desk
- Scott Building - by security desk
- Barringer Residence Hall - lobby (unattended)
- Orlowitz Residence Hall - lobby (unattended)
- Curtis Building - lobby (unattended)
- College Building - lobby (unattended)
Campus Emergency Phones
- 11th & Chestnut Streets / NW corner of the Gibbon Building
- 10th & Chestnut Streets / NE corner of the Gibbon Building
- 11th & Sansom Streets / SW corner of the Gibbon Building
- 10th & Sansom Streets / SE corner of the Gibbon Building
- Sansom Streets between 11th and 10th Streets
- 9th & Sansom Streets / NW corner of the Edison Building
- 11th & Walnut Streets / SW corner of the Pavilion Building
- 10th & Walnut Streets / SE corner of the Curtis Building
- 9th & Walnut Streets / SE corner of the Clinical Office Building
- 11th & Walnut Streets / SW corner of the Martin Building
- 10th & Walnut Streets / SW corner of the Barringer Building
- 9th & Walnut Streets / Behind Jefferson Hospital for Neuroscience
- 9th & Locust Streets / SW corner of Jefferson Hospital for Neuroscience
- 11th & Locust Streets / SW corner of Hamilton Building
- 10th & Locust Streets / SE corner of the Bluemle Building
- 10th & Locust Streets / SE corner of Lubert Plaza
- Lubert Plaza / SW corner of Orlowitz Building
- 11th & Irving Streets / SW corner of Jefferson Alumni Hall
- 10th & Irving Streets / SE corner of Jefferson Alumni Hall
- Hamilton Garage / P1 Level SE, SW, NE, NW corner total of 4
- Hamilton Garage / P2 Level SE, SW, NE, NW corner total of 4
Closed Circuit Television Monitoring
The Security Department is responsible for recommending the locations of all CCTV equipment. The department decides on these installations based on the sensitivity of the area, the complexity or vastness of the area to be monitored or the need for a photo journal of activity in a particular area.
The Investigation Unit is responsible for conducting Criminal Investigations that occur on campus and in the Hospital. The investigators record all criminal incidents that occur both on and off campus and make this information available to all employees and students. This division of the Security Department acts as the liaison with city, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.
The Investigation Unit is also responsible for obtaining a roster of crimes that have occurred in the Sixth Police District – the Philadelphia Police area in which the University and Hospital are located. This information is distributed to the Residence Life Department.
The Investigators also conduct security seminars for students and employees regarding street safety. The latest information on area crime is discussed at these seminars along with instructions on how to avoid becoming a victim of crime.
The Investigation Unit also tracks crime patterns on campus and in the hospital and makes recommendations to the uniform division in an effort to curtail these activities.
The Investigation Unit must comply with all mandates of the Clery legislation by annually forwarding all crime statistics to the Pennsylvania State Police.
Security Response Center
The Security Response Center (SRC) is located in the Gibbon Building on the 2nd floor, east side. The SRC is a 24hour center that operates as the main dispatch area for daily security operations. The SRC is equipped with state-of-the-art security technology which includes closed-circuit color monitors and camera equipment, digital video recorders in order to record campus camera activity. This information is used to enhance the security management plan and may be used for possible court cases.
The SRC is also equipped with caller-ID telephone sets, access control computer and building automation computers. It is the two-way radio communications center for the department enabling instant dispatch capabilities. The SRC also monitors all of the campus security phones. This feature allows for security personnel to identify the area of the call even if the caller cannot respond to us.
The SRC is also the repository for all legal guns that are brought on campus. The University and Hospital do not permit any lethal weapons to be carried on the premises except by a law enforcement agent while on duty. As a result, all guns are checked-in and logged. These weapons are kept in a safe until the owner returns with his/her claim slip.
The Thomas Jefferson University Security Response Center is always available. Our primary goal is to provide for you a safe environment and to "serve" you whenever issues of security should arise. Never hesitate to call us in any situation. The SRC can be reached by calling (215) 955-8888 or "811" from any campus phone. As an employee, faculty member or student of TJU or TJUH, we consider you our most valuable customer.
Jefferson Emergency Response Team
The Jefferson Emergency Response Team, of which the Security Department is an integral part, responds to:
- Internal and External Disasters
- Chemical Spills
- Flooding conditions
- Carbon Monoxide Alarms in the garage
- Suspicious Odors
- Fuel Spills on the Helipad
- Laboratory Spills
Thomas Jefferson University Security offers walking escorts 24 hours a day, 365 days a year anywhere on the University or Hospital campus.
How to request a Walking Escort:
- Ask any Public Safety Officer on patrol or inside a building
- Call (215) 955-8888 or 811 (from campus phone)
- Use one of the many building and blue-light ephones located on Jefferson's Campus.
- Go to the Security Response Center located 2nd floor 10th Street side of the Gibbon Building.
In the News
Numbers to Know
Campus Phone: 811
Non Campus Phone: 911
University Health Services