JSN Faculty News, Fall 2010
Jefferson School of Nursing faculty members have been busy winning grants, presenting their research at conferences and meetings and serving on a variety of boards and committees.
- Co-Investigator, “Preventing Cognitive Decline in African Americans With Mild Cognitive Impairment,” with Barry Rovner, MD, Professor Psychiatry and Neurology, Jefferson Hospital for Neuroscience. Awarded by the National Institute on Aging: $2,772,939.
- Consultant, “Double Vision: Confronting Unequal Eye Care in Pennsylvania,” to Lisa Hark, PhD. A Wills Eye Institute Vision grant funded by the CURE Program from the State of Pennsylvania.
- Funded, “Tri-State Nurse Anesthesia Program.” Awarded by HRSA: $331,341
- Funded, “Nurse Anesthetist Traineeship Grant.” Awarded by HRSA: $12,793.
- The Women’s Heart Foundation (WHF) Teen Esteem Program: Cultural considerations with a vulnerable population, Invited paper presented at the 7th Annual Caring Across Cultures Conference: A Legacy in Transcultural Nursing, Oklahoma City, OK, October 2010.
MARY HANSON-ZALOT, ELIZABETH SPEAKMAN, KAREN PAPASTRAT & MARGARET WEST
- Management Issues Related to Professional Development and Compensation, NLN Education Summit, Las Vegas, NV, September 2010.
MARY LOU MANNING
- Leveraging Doctor of Nursing Practice education to impact healthcare access, quality and reform. Third National Doctors of Nursing Practice Conference, San Diego, CA September 2010.
KATHRYN SHAFFER & MARILYN MC HUGH
- To Text or Not to Text: That is the question. Gateway to Innovation and Creativity in Nursing Education, 37th Annual National Conference by the Professional Nurse Educator’s Group. Baltimore, MD, October 2010.
SUSAN SHIRATO, BETH ANN SWAN, Duffy, D., Weitz, H.
- Examining women and coronary artery disease in the context of social and physical environments. International Council on Women's Health Issues (ICOWHI). April 2010.
- A screening intervention for cardiovascular risk in women: Putting prevention into practice. Poster presented at the Third National Doctors of Nursing Practice Conference, San Diego, California. September 2010.
- Teaching, Scholarship, Service, OHMY: Successful Mentoring Approaches for New Faculty, NLN Education Summit, Las Vegas, NV, September 2010.
- Meaningful Mentorship: Outcomes of the NLN/Johnson &Johnson Faculty Development Cohort 2008-2009, NLN Education Summit, Las Vegas, NV, September 2010.
- Enteral Nutrition of Healthy Premature LBW Infants, 2010 NANN conference, Las Vegas, NV, September 20, 2010.
- Board of Directors Secretary for NJ Emergency Nurses Association
- Delegate for New Jersey at 2010 Emergency Nurses Association General Assembly
- Chairperson, National Research Committee, American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants
- Inducted into Kappa Delta Pi, the international honor society in education
- Geisinger Medical Center institutional review board (IRB)
- Reviewer for the Journal of Rural Health
- Emergency Nursing Resources Development Committee. Emergency Nurses Association
BETH ANN SWAN
- Editorial Board of the Journal of Nursing Education
- PSNA delegate to the ANA House of Delegates, Washington, DC, June 16-19, 2010.