Speed Networking Event
Since 2013, the Jefferson Speed Networking event has provided a great opportunity for students and postdocs to interact with scientific professionals from a variety of career paths, learn about their career trajectories and their current roles.
The 2019 Speed Networking Event
The 2019 Speed Networking Event was organized in collaboration between
The Graduate Student Association (GSA), Jefferson Postdoctoral Association (JPA), Business and Biotechnology Group (BizBio) and the JCLS Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.
When? Wednesday, October 30 2019, 6-8pm
Where? Bluemle Life Science Building (BLSB) Room 101
How does it work?
- 5:30 pm: Check-in at BLSB 101
- 5:45 pm: Welcome remarks, introduction and instructions
- 6:00 - 7:10 pm: One-on-one meetings with the selected professionals (10 min time slots)
- 7:10 - 8:00 pm: Enjoy refreshments and mingle. This is a great opportunity to network with individuals you formed a connection with or maybe didn’t have time to meet during the formal part of the event. All are welcome to attend the reception after the speed networking event, even if you cannot attend the speed networking portion of the event
Why should you do this? This is a unique opportunity to build and expand your network for professional growth and development, and learn about science career options from the source. It is never too early to start thinking about your next career step! This event is appropriate for all MS and PhD students and all postdoctoral fellows from first year to final year.
Career paths that were covered during the 2019 event: Medical writing, Science Editing, Consulting, Faculty - Research Track, Faculty - Teaching Track, Regulatory Affairs, Government, Health Economics & Outcomes, Data Science, Pharmaceutical Research & Development, Venture Capital, Science Policy, Technology Transfer, Patent Law, Biotechnology.
The registration process? Registration is first come, first served and spots are limited. Each participant can sign up to meet with up to four professionals.
Registration for the 2019 event is currently closed. Come back in October 2020 for information about Speed Networking 2020 registration.
Questions? Contact Jenny Schneider.
Each year, precedeing the Speed Networking Event, the JCLS Office of Postdoctoral Affair and the Jefferson Career Development Center collaborate to providedpreparation workshops focused on professional communication skills.
The 2019 preparation workshops included the following:
- CV/Resume Writing
- Informational Interviewing
- The elevator Pitch