Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) FAQs
Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act Financial Aid Grants to Students Frequently Asked Questions
The CARES Act authorizes educational institutions to provide direct emergency financial aid grants to students for expenses associated with the cost of attendance related to the “disruption of campus operations” due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Thomas Jefferson University has a total of $2.1 million to award in emergency financial aid grants to students.
The Department of Education has specified that students are eligible to apply for funding under this program if they:
- Have filed or are eligible to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
- Are a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen;
- Have a valid Social Security number;
- Have registered with Selective Service (if the student is male);
- Have a high school diploma, GED, or have completed high school in an approved homeschool setting;
- Are not in default on a federal student loan nor owe money back on a federal student grant;
- Do not have a federal or state conviction for drug possession or sale; and
- Were not enrolled in an entirely online program on March 13, 2020.
Students may apply for a maximum of $6,195 to cover unexpected costs (housing, food, transportation, medical, daycare, family expenses, other educational expenses, other personal expenses) resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.
5. If I received funding previously from the JeffSecure Program, can I also apply for funding under this program?
Yes, if the funding you are applying for under this program is not related to expenses you covered with the funding you received previously from JeffSecure.
You will be notified within a week of your application being submitted.
The approved amount of your CARES Act Grant will be deposited directly to the account you have designated as your direct deposit account for refunds from your tuition account. The money will be unencumbered and you may use the funds for the approved purpose. If no account is designated then a check will be issued and mailed to the local address you have listed in your Banner student record.
If you wish to establish or change the account to which you want the funds to be deposited, directly, please follow the directions outlined below:
- Log into Banner Web https://banner.jefferson.edu
- Click Student Link
- Click Student Account Link
- Click Make Payment/View Invoice Link
- You will be directed to TouchNet, a secure payment gateway, where you can view your electronic bill, make payments and create or update your payment profile to receive electronic refunds.