4201 Henry Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19144
For all other inquiries call
What is Campus Security Authority?
A Campus Security Authority or “CSA” is defined as, “An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline, and campus judicial proceedings.”
Who is a Campus Security Authority?
The Clery Act defines a CSA as follows:
“An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to: student housing, student discipline, and campus judicial proceedings.”
Individuals at Jefferson who meet the CSA criteria include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Student Affairs and Student Life officials who oversee student housing, a student center, or student extracurricular activities
- Athletics Director, athletic staff, and coaches
- Staff or Faculty advisors to student organizations
- Students who monitor access to dormitories or other facilities
- Housing and Residential Life staff including student Residential Assistants
- Title IX Officials
- Public Safety and contract security officers
- Director of a Campus Health
- Director of the Counseling Center
- Victim advocates or others who are responsible for providing victims with advocacy services, such as assisting with housing relocation, disciplinary action, or court cases, etc.
Examples of individuals who would not meet the CSA criteria include:
A Faculty member who does not have any responsibility for student and campus activity beyond the classroom
- Clerical Staff
- Cafeteria Staff
There are two types of individuals who, although they may have significant responsibility for student and campus activities, would not fall within the Act’s CSA designation as a CSA. They are as follows:
- Pastoral Counselor: A person who is associated with a religious order or denomination, is recognized by that religious order or denomination as someone who provides confidential counseling, and is functioning within the scope of that recognition as a pastoral counselor.
- Professional Counselor: A person whose official responsibilities include providing mental health counseling to members of the University community and who is functioning within the scope of the counselor’s license or certification. This definition applies even to professional counselors who are not employees of the University but are under contract to provide counseling at the institution.
What are a CSA’s Obligations?
Report the Crime:
Under the Clery Act, a crime is considered reported when a victim, witness, or other third party brings the crime to the attention of a CSA or local law enforcement personnel. If a member of the Jefferson community reports a crime to a CSA, or if a CSA is made aware of any crime that occurred on campus that may not have been reported to the Department of Public Safety, the CSA is required to notify the appropriate Department.
Your role is to report all incidents immediately, no matter how minor an incident may seem. In order to ensure that our campuses are safe and that we are fully meeting the Clery Act requirements, we need your help. If you are aware of any crime(s) that has occurred on or around Jefferson property within the last year, please report it in any of these ways:
Center City Campus:
- Department of Public Safety 215-955-8888 or an emergency phone
- Philadelphia Police Department (6th District) 215-686-3060
East Falls Campus:
- Department of Public Safety 215-951-2999 or an emergency phone
- Philadelphia Police Department (39th District) 215-686-3390
Voorhees Township Campus:
- Department of Public Safety 856-532-6999
- Voorhees Township Police Department 856-627-5858
- Abington Department of Public Safety 215-481-2828
- Horsham Township Police Department 215-643-8284
Bucks County Campus:
- East Falls Department of Public Safety 215-951-2999
- Bensalem Police Department 215-633-3700
Spring House Campus:
- Center City Department of Public Safety 215-955-8888
- Lower Gwynedd Police Department 215-646-530