Thomas Jefferson University

Veterans Benefits

Thomas Jefferson University participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. The Yellow Ribbon Program provides assistance to veterans with 100% eligibility of Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® whose cost of tuition and fees exceeds the annual tuition cap. The 2021-2022 annual cap is $26,042.81. Once the annual cap is reached, a Yellow Ribbon Grant can then assist with the cost of tuition. The school's grant is matched by the VA. Schools may set limitations on the number of recipients, as well as the maximum amount of a Yellow Ribbon Grant. Active duty service members and their spouses are not currently eligible for this program. Child transferees of active duty service members may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100 percent rate.

Click here for more information. 

Yellow Ribbon Application

The Yellow Ribbon Application is currently available for the 2021-2022 academic year.  Please use this link to apply.  Once applied, the School Certifying Official will review your application to check your eligibility, and notify you when a decision is made.

This option allows service members while on active duty to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The Department of Defense (DOD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits. Once approved, the new beneficiaries apply for the benefits through the VA.

Click here for more information.

This scholarship provides the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) to children of service members who have died in the line of duty after September 11, 2001. Effective January 1, 2015, the law expands eligibility for the Fry Scholarship to include surviving spouses of members of the Armed Forces who died or die in the line of duty after September 11, 2001.

Click here for more information. 

The Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30) (also called "MGIB" or "MGIB-AD") is an education benefit that provides up to 36 months of full-time payments to eligible veterans and service members for approved education and training programs. This benefit pays directly to the student.  Students must verify their enrollment monthly via the WAVE Certification process.

Click here for more information. 

Veterans must meet with their Veteran Readiness Counselor to develop an education plan. This benefit may cover the entire cost of tuition and fees. Students must request a Tungsten Authorization to be carried out by their VRE counselor to send a Purchase Order to the school.  Once submitted, the SCO will process an invoice to the VRE counselor to pay the school’s tuition and fees.

To contact a Veteran Readiness Counselor, click here.

This is an education benefit for service members who have served on active duty for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001, or were discharged with a service connected disability after 30 consecutive days. An honorable discharge (character of service) is required for veterans. Service members with at least 3 years of active duty are eligible at the 100% level. Benefits are pro-rated for those with less than 3 years of service.

Click here for more information.

This program provides educational assistance to spouses and dependents of veterans who have died or are totally and permanently disabled, as a result of their service, and may be able to assist with the cost of tuition and fees. This benefit pays directly to the student.

Click here for more information.

This program is for members of the Selective Reserve and National Guard who have enlisted or re-enlist in the select reserve with an obligation to serve 6 or more years on or after July 1, 1985.  In order to be eligible for this benefit, the member will have had to complete their IDAT (initial date active training).  A Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) form should be obtained from one's unit and provided to the school. Chapter 1606 expires once a service member has separated from the reserves. This benefit pays directly to the student. Students must verify their enrollment monthly via the WAVE Certification process.

Click here for more information.

The Pennsylvania National Guard EAP funds a student’s tuition only.  It’s the student’s responsibility to contact their unit to ensure they are able to receive these benefits.  Please follow this link for more information about the program.

How Do I Apply?

  • Complete the Veterans Online Application to apply for your benefits.
  • Apply to transfer your benefits to your spouse or child.
  • Please check your program's eligibility through WEAMS. Failure to do so may result in benefits not being paid.
  • Access your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or Statement of Benefits through the GI Bill Website here or through your local RPO office. Find your local office here.  While the Statement of Benefits is an acceptable document, the Certificate of Eligibility would need to be on file for the most accurate benefit status.
  • While the DD214 (Member 4 or Member 1) is not required, it is highly recommended to be on file.  This is so we can gauge if you're active duty or not for housing purposes.
  • Complete the VA Enrollment Confirmation Form and submit it to the Office of Academic Services.  Note: this form must be done every semester to receive your benefits.
  • Once you submit those required forms to OAS, your certification will be processed.  In order for timely processing of benefits, the VA highly recommends you submit these documents within 30 days before the start of class.

Please Note:

  • The eligibility criteria and benefit aspects of the programs are complex and it is ultimately VA’s responsibility to determine eligibility for individual programs. 
  • Filling out the VA Enrollment Confirmation form does not guarantee you for Yellow Ribbon.   A separate application will be supplied in the near future to determine your eligibility.
  • While VA benefits may cover the majority of a students' education, it does not guarantee that they will cover them in full. It is highly recommended that students fill out FAFSAs each year to help supplement any funding they may receive from VA. To review our financial aid website, click here.
  • In order to read more about our university's VA Benefits policy, please review our catalog information here.
  • Per the Johnny Isakon and Roe Law of 2020, effective December 17th, 2021, students using Chapter 33 benefits are highly recommended to opt into text messaging options to notify the VA of their enrollment each month.  Failure to do so will result in housing payments to be delayed.


Vincent Guarnere
Assistant Director, Academic and Financial Services
VA School Certifying Official
(215) 503-8734
(215) 923-6974 fax

Important Resources

(888) 442-4551

Use the GI Bill Comparison Tool to compare benefits by school and learn about education programs.

 ‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site."


Read More