Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University

Graduate Certificate Programs
Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

JCBS has partnered with UniCAS, a central application service, to collect and manage our applications. The Spring, Summer and Fall 2015 application is now available here

What is the application deadline for the Graduate Certificate programs?

Applications are considered on a rolling-admissions basis throughout the year and newly matriculated students may begin coursework in any academic term (Spring, Summer and Fall).

When can I expect a decision?

Once an application is complete and submitted for review, a decision is often reached in one to two weeks.

What materials do I need to complete my application?

A complete application consists of:

  • A complete online application submitted with the $75.00 application fee
  • Personal statement
  • Resume/CV
  • One letter of recommendation
  • Official transcripts from all institutions attended

Where do I send my official transcripts?

Official Transcripts and WES evaluations (if applicable) should be sent to:

Thomas Jefferson CAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9130
Watertown, MA 02471

I am an International applicant. Are there any additional requirements or information that I should know?

  • English Proficiency: If your native language is not English, or you received your baccalaureate degree from an institution where English is not the official language of instruction (comprehensive list of requirements by country), you must submit official scores from an accepted English proficiency exam such as TOEFL or IELTS.
  • Transcript Evaluation:
    If you completed your undergraduate/graduate work outside of the United States, you must submit a course-by-course evaluation from World Education Services (WES).

For other information (Student VISA, etc.) please visit our Office of International Affairs.

What is the application fee?

The application fee is $75.00 and needs to be submitted by credit card (Visa or Mastercard only) upon submission of the application. The fee is non-refundable.

Is it possible to obtain a waiver for the application fee?

JCBS does not offer fee waivers.

Does JCBS offer financial aid?

Scholarships and assistantships are not available for students in our Graduate Certificate programs. Our students fund their education through a variety of means. Information on applying for financial assistance can be found through our Office of Financial Aid.

Many students will fund their education with tuition benefits through their employer. We suggest applicants inquire about their employer’s tuition policy and contact the Office of Admissions for more information.

How long will it take to finish my certificate?

The Graduate Certificate programs are 15-18 credits and can typically be completed in one year.

Are standardized tests (GRE®, MCAT®) required for the PhD programs?

JCBS does not require standardized tests for the Graduate Certificate programs. However, we do recommend that applicants submit GRE scores.

How do I submit my letters of recommendation?

The JCBS UniCAS application has an online recommendation included in the system. Applicants submit their letters in the Supporting Information section under Evaluations. For more detail, read the UniCAS submission instructions.

How long should my personal statement be?

The personal statement should be approximately 500-750 words and explain your reasons for applying to JCBS as well as your research interests/experiences.

Can I visit campus?

The Admissions Office holds several Master of Science Information Sessions throughout the year. A Program Director leads a presentation and answers questions from prospective students while an admissions representative discusses the application process. Learn more about upcoming events.

What if I want to transfer my credits towards a Master of Science degree program at JCBS?

Courses taken in the Graduate Certificate programs are the same courses we offer to our MS students. Completed Graduate Certificate courses may later be applied towards a graduate degree program.

Who can I contact with more questions?

Questions regarding the application process can be directed to the Admissions Office at 215-503-4400, while specific questions about the programs can be directed to Eleanor Gorman, Assistant Coordinator for MS Programs in the Basic Sciences at 215-503-5799.