Thomas Jefferson University

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get in touch with an attorney when there is an emergency situation involving a patient?
During normal business hours, you can reach an attorney by dialing (215) 955-8585. Tell the receptionist that you must speak with an attorney regarding a patient care issue. If you need to speak with an attorney after 5:00 p.m. during the week, or over the weekend, call the TJUH page operator and ask to speak to the attorney on call.

What should I do if I get a subpoena or other legal correspondence?
If you receive a subpoena for medical records, please consult your departmental administrator, who should have a copy of TJU’s policy on the release of medical records. If you receive any other type of legal correspondence, please contact University Counsel at (215) 955-8585 and ask to speak with an attorney.

May I Contact University Counsel for my personal legal needs?
While the Office of University Counsel provides legal services on behalf of the University and not individual employees, our office would be glad to refer you to outside counsel.

What should I do if I’m sued for malpractice?
If you are sued for malpractice, and you work for TJU or JUP, you should immediately contact the Office of Risk Management at (215) 955-6935 or University Counsel at (215) 955-8585.