MS - Art Therapy Specialization
Apply - MS Art Therapy
Applicants to the MS in Community and Trauma Counseling with a Specialization in Art Therapy must fulfill the requirements listed below.
To apply, students must submit:
- Graduate Application
- Undergraduate Transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation
- Psychology prerequisite coursework
- Studio Art prerequisite coursework
- Portfolio of 20-25 images showing proficiency in a variety of media *
- Personal Essay
- 800-1000 words
- Personal reflection on your reasons for choosing a career in counseling, and specifically trauma-focused counseling.
- Highlight personal qualities or characteristics that will serve you well in this graduate program and in the counseling profession more broadly.
- A minimum of 12 credit hours in psychology are required, including:
- 3 credits in abnormal psychology
- 3 credits in child or human development
Studio Art Prerequisites
- A minimum of 18 credit hours in studio art, evidencing a range of experience using a variety of art materials and processes.
- Courses must be reflected on your transcripts, and must be earned with a grade of B or higher.
- A minimum of 20 pieces must be submitted
- The images should represent a variety of media, including two- and three-dimensional work
- Pieces should demonstrate personal expression and technical skills in a range of styles and subject matter
- Film/video/new media pieces can be no longer than 30 minutes, cued to a 5 minute section for review. These can be submitted through a link to an online video.
Portfolio Submission Instructions
Portfolios can be submitted as PDFs to the Graduate Admissions Portfolio Submission page
Portfolios are reviewed with primary consideration given to experience and personal expression through art. If applicants have questions or concerns about portfolio submission, please contact the program coordinator at BrandoffR@philau.edu.
International students can find additional requirements for admission here.