Midwifery & Women's Health
Applying - Re-entry to Clinical Practice
This program is intended for Certified Midwives (CNM/CMs) who have previously been or are currently AMCB certified, but have been out of clinical practice and are looking to refresh their knowledge and skills in anticipation of re-entry to clinical midwifery practice.
Make sure to follow the specific instructions on this page when applying for the Re-Entry to Clinical Practice program, as each Midwifery program has customized requirements.
The American College of Nurse-Midwives guidelines on re-entry to clinical practice is available here.
|FALL SEMESTER - August start||SPRING SEMESTER - January start|
|April 1st - preferred deadline||September 1st - preferred deadline|
|June 1st - final deadline||November 1st - final deadline|
|MS Completion students have the additional option of a summer (late May) start.
The deadline for summer start is March 1st preferred, April 1st Final.
We understand that circumstances are varied and refresher needs are unique. Applicants are encouraged to call and speak with an admissions counselor at 215-951-2943 for individualized information. Re-entry applicants will need to submit:
- Graduate Student Application marked “refresher process”
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the re-entry to clinical practice and readiness for the refresher process
- Professional CV/Resume
- Two letters of Reference
- Verification of all clinical license(s) – active or inactive
- Official Transcripts of all college/university courses, including basic midwifery education
- Proof of current or prior AMCB certification
- Have a personal interview with a potential clinical preceptor who submits a clinical site form and is willing to work toward a clinical site agreement with the university.
A phone/web-based faculty interview is arranged with the applicant when application materials are complete.
Students are responsible for identifying a clinical site during the application process (Clinical Site Form). Once a student is accepted into the refresher process, the Midwifery Institute processes a formal affiliation agreement with the proposed clinical site.
Accepted students are responsible for purchasing and maintaining liability insurance for clinical refresher practice. An ACNM partner company has developed refresher student rates for CNM/CMs. Additionally, accepted students must maintain CPR, NRP and EFM certification while in clinical and have a background check, drug screen and health clearance. A notarized passport photo is required for identification. Clinical sites may have additional requirements prior to starting the clinical refresher.