Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University

International Students

Visit the Office of Admissions for full international students application requirements.

English Language Proficiency

All international students and U.S. permanent residents must demonstrate English language proficiency as one of the conditions for admission to Thomas Jefferson University.  Students must submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores or fulfill one or more of the conditions necessary to waive the English language proficiency requirement.  TOEFL or IELTS scores are valid for two years; scores older than two years will not be considered.

  • Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with an overall score of at least 87 and individual section scores as follows:

Reading = 21

Listening = 22

Speaking = 23

Writing = 21

TOEFL code = 2903

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with an overall score of at least 6.5 and individual section scores as follows:

Listening = 6.5

Reading = 6.5

Writing = 6

Speaking = 7


TOEFL/IELTS requirement can be waived if you have:

  • Baccalaureate degree or higher from an accredited U.S. college or university.
  • U.S. Citizenship.
  • U.S. state licensure in nursing.
  • Native English speaker from one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa or United Kingdom.

Online Courses

The MSN and DNP are online programs. As such, they are not available to international students living in the United States needing to maintain F or J status.

If you are in F or J status and applying for an undergraduate nursing program in the U.S., you are restricted to only one online course of your full-time course load (per federal regulations).

International students in F or J status may not enroll as part-time students in either undergraduate or graduate nursing programs.

Abington-Dixon Campus

At this time Thomas Jefferson University is authorized to issue I-20s to international students only for the Center City campus. International students who need form I-20 are advised to consider Center City programs.