Updated Application Deadline: october 18, 2019
As the middle school component of the Future Health Professionals Program, the Saturday Academy is a program in which local students from URM backgrounds and first generation college participate in educational activities for six Saturdays throughout the academic year. Students participate in basic science lectures that serve as supplementary education in anatomy/physiology, biology, chemistry, and math/biostatistics with a laboratory component that helps them gain laboratory skills. Additional experiental education opportunities focused on health related professions are also integrated throughout the program each afternoon.
The following form is to be submitted by a teacher.
The overarching themes of Saturday Academy are to:
- Provide supplemental enrichment opportunities in STEM subjects for Philadelphia 7th & 8th graders
- Engage students in activities that are hands-on and fun
- Encourage students to take a team based approach while participating in the discovery process
- Serve as preparation for future education opportunities
Audience: Rising 7th and 8th grade students who are interested in STEM and having fun
Location: Thomas Jefferson University, Center City Campus
Dates: Select Saturdays, September 2019 - April 2020
Times: 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. (Breakfast & Lunch provided)
Fall 2019 Program Dates
Spring 2020 Program Dates
A completed application includes the following:
- Submission of a statement of no more than 500 words of why you are interested in a health care field
- Completion of the Application Form
- Completion of the Teacher Recommendation Form (to be submitted by the teacher separately)
Send all application materials to Ms. Moira Pannepacker.