Fern Goodhart, MS, RMCHES
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 923-7583 fax
MS, University of Massachusetts at Amherst
BA, Queens College, CUNY
Lecturer, Jefferson College of Population Health
Research & Practice Interests
Population Health Advocacy
Health Policy: Analysis & Advocacy
Ms. Fern Goodhart has a long career in research, teaching and community service to advance population health. Ms. Goodhart was Senior Policy Advisor for Senator Tom Udall (NM) with a portfolio that included health, education, Indian health and education, and other domestic social issues (2009-2015). She also served in Senator Menendez’s (NJ) office in 2008 as the American Public Health Association (APHA) public health fellow.
Before working on Capitol Hill, Ms. Goodhart directed the Rutgers University Health Services’ health education department (1985-2007), where she also conducted research and managed over $10 million in grants on HIV prevention, sexual health practices, dangerous drinking behavior, bicycle helmet use, and coalition building. At the same time, Ms. Goodhart taught courses at Rutgers University and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ) on health promotion, qualitative research, human sexuality, AIDS, and public health advocacy as well as consulting with governments and universities nationally and internationally on health and civic engagement issues. In addition, Ms. Goodhart held elected public office as a councilwoman and council president in Highland Park, NJ (2001-2007).
Prior to working at Rutgers University, Ms. Goodhart coordinated statewide health education programs for the New Jersey State Department of Health (1978-85) in dental health, workplace health promotion, and cardiovascular disease prevention, and served three governors on their Councils on Physical Fitness, Trails, and Bicycle Advocacy. She is a master’s certified health education specialist (ret), has authored 24 book chapters or articles and served as an associate editor for one health journal and reviewer for several others.
Most Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- A view through a different lens: Photovoice as a tool for student advocacy
- Program: NJPHA legislative scorecard
- A Case Against "Binge" as the Term of Choice: Convincing College Students to Personalize Messages about Dangerous Drinking
- Binge drinking: Not the word of choice
- The health educator's role in advocacy and policy: principles, processes, programs, and partnerships.
- Teaching Advocacy to Public Health Students: The New Jersey Experience
- Assessing student staff motivation and satisfaction to strengthen health education services
- Peer education: A commentary
- Effects of an institutional AIDS prevention intervention: Moderation by gender
- New Jersey college students' high-risk behavior: Will we meet the health objectives for the year 2000?
- Evaluating HIV/AIDS education in the university setting
- Generating enthusiasm among peer educators
- Predictors of safer sex on the college campus: A social cognitive theory analysis
- Acquaintance rape on campus a literature review